What mushroom is this?

Rocks Reef

There aren't a lot of mushroom corals with proper names. I believe it's because the color varies greatly due to lighting and environmental factors. Anyway, blue base and red nuggets could be Superman Rhodactis. Does it look like this?

Image result for superman rhodactis  

I wouldn't classify it as a Rhodactis as there appears to be no branching on the "bubbles" (which you can see even in the subtler bubbles on the superman rhodactis pic). Neither does their frequency or distribution appear to match Ricordea Yuma, and the variation in sizes across the striations/ridges further calls that ID into question for me. I have seen Discosoma sp. with bubble/tentacles as pronounced as these, but they may be misclassified. Sascha is totally right; the mushroom corallimorphs haven't been fully classified yet, and with their recent popularity I think collectors are bringing us increasing numbers of "new" variants that we may not have named yet.

Yes it wasn't the same I must of seen one like his when I was looking for the Yuma, but I got it wrong, I like the ones I seen in a display cube at RCA that I was looking them up for a week at least a year ago, its was on the same sight but wasn't the Yuma had different size bumps , really raised but the yumas are distinctive I was wrong on that

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes it wasn't the same I must of seen one like his when I was looking for the Yuma, but I got it wrong, I like the ones I seen in a display cube at RCA that I was looking them up for a week at least a year ago, its was on the same sight but wasn't the Yuma had different size bumps , really raised but the yumas are distinctive I was wrong on that

I believe the one you're referring to is a St. Thomas mushroom. They're my new fav. They're also an excellent example of the taxonomical challenges we run up against in this hobby. I've seen them referred to as both Discosoma sanctithomae and Rhodactis sanctithomae, and while I believe the consensus in the scientific community is that they're R. sanctithomae, both names are accepted; the Discosoma name seems more commonly used in our hobby; and there has been a long history of names used for it (http://www.marinespecies.org/aphia.php?p=taxdetails&id=456765).

Here's an article that may be of some use in identifying the mystery mushroom:
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2002/10/inverts

Archived