Austin Aquarium

Humblefish

It was ok if you have kids then it is cool to let them feed the sting rays and sharks and they have a couple of nice tanks but without kids I think I would only go once just to see it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Austin Aquarium gave ARC a tour of the facility back in 2015. It might have been 2014. I can't remember and I couldn't find the thread on it. From what I remember it's mostly catered to children. The reviews appear to be based on the persons experience in the hobby. It looked like beginners and people not in the hobby enjoyed it more than more advanced hobbyists. That could also be because they had just opened and the tanks might be more matured now. Some of the reviews said the admission is kind of pricey. 

if you want a real aquarium.. hit up the downtown aquarium in houston or the houston zoo.  my kids didnt even like the austin one... but they have an aquarium at home, so they might be biased.

1 hour ago, Isaac said:

if you want a real aquarium.. hit up the downtown aquarium in houston or the houston zoo.  my kids didnt even like the austin one... but they have an aquarium at home, so they might be biased.

Didn't even realize Houston had a downtown aquarium. The one at the zoo was nice.

If y'all are ever in New Orleans, check out the Aquarium of the Americas at the foot of Canal St. 

I would pass but just my opinion. Really geared for the kids mostly. If it were cheaper, then it may be worth it for me.

You get free admission. Your an ARC member

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

I like that you can feed anything with an open tank. Which is a lot of stuff. They have a high turnover of animals. Not sure if it's poor care or what. I take my kiddo there often. I've learned if you go in the middle of the week you usually get more krill to feed the animals with. And they are more excited to eat. The krill is expensive and there are no snacks offered at a concession stand. We can get through in about an hour. ARC and MAAST members get in free. Oh, it's not allowed but the krill drive the sharks crazy. That's always exciting. Just don't get caught. And no one rat me out either LOL.

I like that you can feed anything with an open tank. Which is a lot of stuff. They have a high turnover of animals. Not sure if it's poor care or what. I take my kiddo there often. I've learned if you go in the middle of the week you usually get more krill to feed the animals with. And they are more excited to eat. The krill is expensive and there are no snacks offered at a concession stand. We can get through in about an hour. ARC and MAAST members get in free. Oh, it's not allowed but the krill drive the sharks crazy. That's always exciting. Just don't get caught. And no one rat me out either LOL.

I had no idea we could get in free. I've never really considered going, but esp not after seeing the price.

On 3/4/2017 at 5:09 PM, Sascha D. said:

Austin Aquarium gave ARC a tour of the facility back in 2015. It might have been 2014. I can't remember and I couldn't find the thread on it. From what I remember it's mostly catered to children. The reviews appear to be based on the persons experience in the hobby. It looked like beginners and people not in the hobby enjoyed it more than more advanced hobbyists. That could also be because they had just opened and the tanks might be more matured now. Some of the reviews said the admission is kind of pricey. 

On 3/4/2017 at 11:03 PM, Sissy36 said:

You get free admission. Your an ARC member

This is news to me, have you gotten in free? and were you told it's because you're an ARC member?

This is news to me, have you gotten in free? and were you told it's because you're an ARC member?

Yeah, I got in free. I know MAAST members get in free at San Antonio and I approached the one of the owners and he said he'd honor the ARC in Austin. At admission I told the cashier I was an ARC member and she said ok, looked at my card, and rang me up.

Maybe confirm with the owners just to be sure. I don't want to cause a problem. The cashier acted like she knew about it though.

Yeah, I got in free. I know MAAST members get in free at San Antonio and I approached the one of the owners and he said he'd honor the ARC in Austin. At admission I told the cashier I was an ARC member and she said ok, looked at my card, and rang me up.

Maybe confirm with the owners just to be sure. I don't want to cause a problem. The cashier acted like she knew about it though.

That's funny because the whole of ARC didn't know about it, including the owner of ARC. I wonder if it's like the secret menu at In N' Out? Can I get an ARC "Animal style" admission to the Aquarium?

43 minutes ago, FarmerTy said:

That's funny because the whole of ARC didn't know about it, including the owner of ARC. I wonder if it's like the secret menu at In N' Out? Can I get an ARC "Animal style" admission to the Aquarium?

LOL, exactly!  Try it and let us know. ;)

I'll definitely be contacting them.

I can't believe this thread stayed so benign... I would pass for a number of reasons but really it's geared towards very young and reef-ignorant guests, and it's not cheap for what you get. Corpus has an outstanding aquarium as well as the others mentioned.

A little off-topic, but has anyone been to the aquarium in SA? How does it stack up to Houston and Dallas?

Same owners as the Austin one Sascha... So not really a City Aquarium, just independent business owners that created a kid-focused aquarium themed playland.

I will say I like the San Antonio one a bit better than the Austin one but I haven't been to the Austin one since they let us have the behind-the-scenes look at it when first opened.

Archived