Looking for sump input...

SChrisEV

I'm getting very close to pulling the trigger on a 350g tank build (96" L x 36" W x 24" H).  I am looking at sump options.  The sump will be behind a wall in a separate room.  In the vein of more volume the better I was thinking about a 60"ish long sump.  I so far I have not found one close to that pre-built size.  Trigger Systems has the TideLine 48 (48″ l x 20″ w x 16″ h) looks like a good sump (any experienced input very welcome) but shorter (less volume) than I wanted.

Does anyone know of other options, or have a good custom sump builder that you know, and you'd recommend? 

Thanks in advance,

Chris

Also, if you know of anyone looking for 185G tank and awesome metal stand in a couple months, send them my way.  Official For Sale post coming soon. ;)

if you have a remote sump, dont let sump designs limit you.  you can always add additional chambers or plumb additional sumps to it for volume!  make sure you have enough room for what you want, and some extra for sanity sake.  also make sure it will hold your "pump off" volume, you dont want an overflow.  my build thread has picts of my sump in my garage insanity if you want ideas :)

Thanks, I will take a look at your post to check it out.  While it is nice having the remote sump, and I will take as much advantage of that as I can, I do still need to work with-in the four wall of the room it will be housed in, and it is a little small, think large closet (about 8' x 5'), I'm not complaining, I expect it will still beat the heck out of fitting it under my tank :) esp. when it comes time to for regular maintenance.

Just now, SChrisEV said:

Thanks, I will take a look at your post to check it out.  While it is nice having the remote sump, and I will take as much advantage of that as I can, I do still need to work with-in the four wall of the room it will be housed in, and it is a little small, think large closet (about 8' x 5'), I'm not complaining, I expect it will still beat the heck out of fitting it under my tank :) esp. when it comes time to for regular maintenance.

laaayers.  i'd gravity into the bottom one for from the tank, then use a diff pump to upper levels and gravity that back down to the bottom.  you could go crazy if you think 4th dimensionaly :)

You're also not locked into a single sump/refugium.  Here's a video of a multiple sump/refugium setup I did: 

And here's a video from the front: 

A note on using Mangroves.  They use magnesium to filter the salt out of saltwater so are competing with corals you you will need to monitor magnesium more closely.  They also need LOTS of light to grow well, thye're designed to deal with full sunlight. 

5 minutes ago, Timfish said:

A note on using Mangroves.  They use magnesium to filter the salt out of saltwater so are competing with corals you you will need to monitor magnesium more closely.  They also need LOTS of light to grow well, thye're designed to deal with full sunlight. 

Thanks for that input.  I did not realize that.

• 3 weeks later...

So I have decided I would like to have a custom sump built.  I have this BASIC design in mind but am very open to input.  Does anyone have a recommendation for a custom sump builder?

Also if you see any major issues in this design please let me know.  I am mostly looking for water volume, a large skimmer section, easy access etc.  I may use the center chamber for a small refugium or cryptic zone, but I plan to have a larger remote refugium plumed in.

Evans_SumpDesign.png

Archived