120 tall build

HarleyGuy

Here is the completion of the test fit for all the major items inside the stand. The purpose of this test fit is to ensure the location and fit of everything, to determine the length and angle of the manifold/valves, and to cut and drill all the holes prior to painting all the wood inside and out. I also wanted to lay items out so that they could be easier to maintain and/or remove if needed. Note, this stand is 48" long, 36" tall, x 18" deep.

The only items missing on the inside of the stand are: the Fuge light (a PAR38 actinic in a hanging reflector), the cabinet light that I haven't purchased yet (standard fluorescent fixture), and the hole in the back left corner to run all the electrical. I'll run the plumbing (connections) and the wiring after the tank is on the stand. The manifold has a 1" line in from the return pump (3000 GPH DC pump), and 4 feed valves: a 1" feed back to the tank,  a 1/2" Mur-Lok to the dual reactor, a 1/2" Mur-Lok to the Refugium, and a 1" spare. The skimmer has it's own built-in pump.

On the outside of the stand, I also need to mount the electronics box on the left side of the cabinet (exterior mount). I purchased a plastic water proof electrical box with a clear door to mount items like the Apex systems boxes, the ATO unit, etc. 

One question, I'm going to use the standard 1/2" Mur-Lok push-connect plumbing for my reactors (that they came with) and was thinking of running the same (1/2" Mur-Lok) to feed my Fuge out of the manifold. Any comments or recommendations on this or on the setup/layout of my stand? 

IMG_1289.JPG

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi All, I need some quick help (15 or 20 minutes) sometime next week (5/1 - 5/7) to do a quick stand swap.

I'm expecting that this will take at least 3 additional people. Two strong dudes to pickup and hold the tank while myself and someone else swaps the stands out. I can help with the stands but my wrist is not recovered enough to pick up and hold that 120gal tank. :(  Ty said he would bring the suction cups to pickup the tank.

Can I get some volunteers to come over to my house in Round Rock (near Dell Diamond) to do this quick move sometime next week? I'll buy pizza for any that can help.

Once I get some commitments we can choose and evening or possibly next weekend (5/6 - 5/7) to knock this out. It will probably take you more time to get to my house than it will take for us to complete the move. ;)

Also - I'll be selling the wood stand if anyone needs a good, freshly painted, 48"x18" stand that will fit a 75 gal, 90 gal, or 110 gal tank. The stand is fine, I just needed more room under it for all the sump/ATO/dosing equipment.

Thanks!!!

John 

On ‎4‎/‎28‎/‎2017 at 1:54 PM, HarleyGuy said:

Hi All, I need some quick help (15 or 20 minutes) sometime next week (5/1 - 5/7) to do a quick stand swap.

I'm expecting that this will take at least 3 additional people. Two strong dudes to pickup and hold the tank while myself and someone else swaps the stands out. I can help with the stands but my wrist is not recovered enough to pick up and hold that 120gal tank. :(  Ty said he would bring the suction cups to pickup the tank.

Can I get some volunteers to come over to my house in Round Rock (near Dell Diamond) to do this quick move sometime next week? I'll buy pizza for any that can help.

Once I get some commitments we can choose and evening or possibly next weekend (5/6 - 5/7) to knock this out. It will probably take you more time to get to my house than it will take for us to complete the move. ;)

Also - I'll be selling the wood stand if anyone needs a good, freshly painted, 48"x18" stand that will fit a 75 gal, 90 gal, or 110 gal tank. The stand is fine, I just needed more room under it for all the sump/ATO/dosing equipment.

Thanks!!!

John 

Note - I started a new thread for this here:

• 4 weeks later...

The 120ga is live! :D It was a job, but it is finally up and running.

I ran a hardline to the Apex from my router in the front of the house and everything is dialed in and working thru the Apex now. I cooked my dry rock for a couple months so should have minimal phosphates from the rock. I'm running both live sand and Dr. Tim's nitrifying bacteria and have added fish that I quarantined for a few weeks, but expect the cycle to be minimal. I'll be checking levels daily to ensure that everything is good.  

Still to do: I'm not running the reactors yet until the cycle is over, I need to wait a few weeks before adding Chaeto to the fuge, I need to hook up the DOS, need to set and break in the skimmer, and need to setup the ATO this weekend. Also, I need to build the front panel for the stand this coming weekend and get it painted. It will be attached with magnets to the stand for ease of maintenance. I'm also going to build two BRS net tops for the top of the tank to eliminate jumper deaths. The tank has euro-bracing so it will be easy to build tops and they will have a recessed-fit right into the Euro-bracing, so they should look good. 

I've also got a few more fish in the QT tanks, a rainbow nem, and a lot of frags, waiting to be added. ;)

IMG_1439.JPG

IMG_1440.JPG

IMG_1442.JPG

Here are a couple more pics. I placed most of the electronics (Apex and various controllers) in the plastic box on the side to keep the splash off of them. Everything else is in the sump area. This weekend the stand will have a cover on the front.:

IMG_1446.JPG

IMG_1447.JPG

Thanks!

That Kessil seems to have the right spectrum for Chaeto. I can't add any for a month or so yet though as the water is too clean. I'll let you know how it works on growth. The price wasn't too bad either.

• 1 month later...

Here are some pics of the tank after about a month of run time. Note, I was able to bypass most of the cycle time using live sand, cycled dry rock, and by adding the nitrifying bacteria. As a result I didn't have any ammonia or nitrite spikes.

IMG_1549.JPG

IMG_1562.JPG

IMG_1610.JPG

IMG_1606.JPG

IMG_1554.JPG

IMG_1583.JPG

Well, strange thing. I woke up this morning and looked at my 120 and my Rainbow BTA decided to split last night. It wasn't even that big...  Now I have 2 x golf ball size Rainbow BTA's and a medium/large Rose BTA.

I'm going to have to try and get one of the Rainbows out of there. When I do I'll have one for sale. :-)

IMG_1621.JPG

Archived