First time reefer in Austin

Io Montecillo

Hi there - I've been into the FW hobby for a while now and have recently delved into SW. I'm new to reefing and decided to convert my old Fluval Spec 3 into a pico coral-only tank with live rock and live sand. I have an ATO, a custom media rack with filter floss, live rock rubble, purigen, and ceramic pellets. I'm running a small white and blue finnex LED.

As far as stocking is concerned I'm sticking to softies. I currently have frags of zoas, a hairy mushroom, a florida ricordea, and a kenya tree coral. In addition to my small clean up crew, I might get a Yasha or Watchman Goby and a Pistol Shrimp a few months from now once my tank has matured a bit and I get the hang of keeping my water quality stable. Looking forward to learning more about the hobby though this forum!

Please let me know if you have any advice for a newbie!

Question: How do I reply to the "Want to Sell or Trade" forum? I assumed a Basic Membership allows me to reply and purchase, but not to post new sales of my own. Any one able to help troubleshoot? Thanks!

Welcome! I love picos, and the Fluval Spec series work great. I would recommend staying away from the shrimp/goby pair in a tank as small as the 3 though. While there are fish that can manage such a sol space and don't move around much, in that size aquarium you'd probably have more luck (and happier inhabitants) with some inverts like a trio of sexy shrimp.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 2/17/2017 at 0:06 PM, Io Montecillo said:

Please let me know if you have any advice for a newbie!

Question: How do I reply to the "Want to Sell or Trade" forum? I assumed a Basic Membership allows me to reply and purchase, but not to post new sales of my own. Any one able to help troubleshoot? Thanks!

Welcome :wave:

Non-premium members lost the ability to reply to existing threads in the classifieds section with the migration last month. You'll have to send them a private message.

6 minutes ago, Sascha D. said:

Welcome :wave:

Non-premium members lost the ability to reply to existing threads in the classifieds section with the migration last month. You'll have to send them a private message.

While this was correct, it was an unintentional side effect and has since been fixed. All members are allowed to reply to classifieds.

To clarify, we did not intentionally change any rules or permissions in the migration.  If you see any unintended or expected behaviors please let me or the mods know and we'll get them cleared up.

Archived