First Reef Jar

A.berry

Hey, Mike told me about your thread and I thought I'd chime in.  In a small tank like your using a bubbler is all I think you would need.  (If Lee Chin Eng could keep corals and fish with just bubbles 70 years ago I don't see why you can't do it now.)   You have options for lighing it you want to make something that fits inside your lid.  LED supply lets you custom configure 3-up led stars:  http://www.ledsupply.com/leds/custom-3-up-cree-high-power-led   And Luseonstar has 7 LED stars you can customize: http://www.luxeonstar.com/any-7-rebel-leds-mounted-on-a-7-led-round-sinkpad    As far as the hitchhiker on the frogspawn skeleton I kinda think it looks like a juvinile Anthelia and I would get rid of it unless that's all you want in your jar a year from now.

On 3/14/2017 at 5:14 PM, Timfish said:

Hey, Mike told me about your thread and I thought I'd chime in.  In a small tank like your using a bubbler is all I think you would need.  (If Lee Chin Eng could keep corals and fish with just bubbles 70 years ago I don't see why you can't do it now.)   You have options for lighing it you want to make something that fits inside your lid.  LED supply lets you custom configure 3-up led stars:  http://www.ledsupply.com/leds/custom-3-up-cree-high-power-led   And Luseonstar has 7 LED stars you can customize: http://www.luxeonstar.com/any-7-rebel-leds-mounted-on-a-7-led-round-sinkpad    As far as the hitchhiker on the frogspawn skeleton I kinda think it looks like a juvinile Anthelia and I would get rid of it unless that's all you want in your jar a year from now.

Thanks for the links I'm going to have to start researching! I'm more and more intrigued by the LED and self contained route. I have a small 3D printer so I was thinking I may print a disc with mounting points in it then epoxy it. I have a little gap in the back of the lid now for the airline and heater cord to come through so I shouldn't need have too much trouble adding another cord.

thanks for the pointer on the Anthelia. I ended up pulling  He skeleton out because I spotted some hair coral on it. 

Looks like it might be brown jelly disease.  I have limited experience, but here's my $0.02:

Grab your turkey baster and clean it off, and do a water change.  I'd plan on a water change daily and plenty of baster blasting for a while.  Probably tough to beat in a tank that small and so little flow.

2 hours ago, BobcatReefer said:

Looks like it might be brown jelly disease.  I have limited experience, but here's my $0.02:

Grab your turkey baster and clean it off, and do a water change.  I'd plan on a water change daily and plenty of baster blasting for a while.  Probably tough to beat in a tank that small and so little flow.

I spoke with Mike yesterday and he suggested removing the affected head so that's what I did and this morning the surviving 2 heads are looking healthy and happy 

Yeah, brown jelly, and it's almost always fatal to the head it's on.

Sounds like you did the right thing, siphon it off, then remove the infected head.  A water change wouldn't hurt.  You don't ever want to move the coral while in tank because that can transfer the jelly to the healthy heads.

I believe it is bacterial and seems to take advantage of damaged corals (from falling, getting scratched, etc).  I'll be interested to see if your remaining heads live.  If not then take a break of a few months from frogspawn and other corals in its family (hammers, torches) before trying to reintroduce them.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 2/11/2017 at 11:41 PM, A.berry said:

Check out Natalia's reef bowl and pongpits 2g pico. They both have tiny pico's that will blow minds. 

Can you share links to these builds please?  I've searched and haven't been able to locate them.  Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

So it's been awhile since my last update, been getting ready to move (jar should be "easy"). Anyways, the frogspawn lives!!!! It's even started pushing out new buds! The Zola has FINALLY opened up, the leather is looking happy, and the richirdia keeps wandering around. On top of that, the goby, crab, and snails are doing brilliant. Even the ammonia levels are staying low, thank you macro algae and weekly water changes. 

image.jpg

image.jpg

Archived