FREE Octopus on craigslist!?

sea horse

You almost have to have a special tank set up for these guys, I'm not sure 30 gallons in big enough. They are jet propelled and can shoot across a 100 gallon tank like a streak. Also, they are pretty aggressive, will eat almost any small fish or crustaceans But the biggest problem is they are Incredible escape artist and almost impossible to keep in the tank. Because of the suckers on the tentacles and their strength they can squeeze through any little crack. I had one actually lift an aquarium lid with a brick on it one time and squeeze through the crack onto the floor. The only way I was ever able to contain one was to duct tape the lid down. They are a PIA but lovely interesting creatures. I hope the owner screens the new adoptive parents well. If it were my octopus I?d want to see the tank where they were going to keep him.

Seeing as it is close to Austin I'd almost bet it came from the dome. Gary got in a few small octopus about 3 months back and they are all dwarfs. Siad they wouldn't get much bigger than 10" total and from the readings I've been doing a 30g will actually make them feel safer at that size as they can hide in the rocks and know what is around them. I was really wanting a blue ring for a few months and had bought a nice 30 cube to set up for it, was going the whole nine yard with chillers special acrylic overflows were going to be built, blah blah blah.... and had been doing a lot reading at the time he got them in. I don't think I've seen octopus at any other lfs in ATX so I'm wondering if this is one of those?

From what I read the main problem with octopus besides being adept escape artists is that they die early. Most only live months in the wild. Just about the time you are thinking, hey I've done it! I actually kept an ocotpus alive and it likes me and I like it they let you down by dying.

Well hopefully someone will take care of it. It's a shame aquarium stores carry such fragile animals and won't educate the buyer on it's care.

"Most only live months in the wild" - I haven't heard this before? Do you mean their life-span is only a few months or they die prematurely from predation or other such causes? Seems kinda strange, since it wouldn't reach maturity long enough to procreate if it only lived a few months naturally..... just curious :D

Could be species-specific indeed.

English lesson time!

Interestingly, the English plural of Octopus is actually Octopuses... or you could use the original Greek plural form of Octopodes.

Octopi is actually a Latin-plural bastardization of the Greek word Oktopous, and is not correct.

confused2.gif blob7.gif happy2.gif

<Grad school is a disease....>

Well hopefully someone will take care of it. It's a shame aquarium stores carry such fragile animals and won't educate the buyer on it's care.

"Most only live months in the wild" - I haven't heard this before? Do you mean their life-span is only a few months or they die prematurely from predation or other such causes? Seems kinda strange, since it wouldn't reach maturity long enough to procreate if it only lived a few months naturally..... just curious  :D

From my readings there are a lot of aquarium sized octos out there. These generally lived 24 months or less. Only larger octo live for a few years longer. A lot of my readings came from online sources and Coral magazine. Also FAMA or TFH did a write up about a 4 months back.