Which Skimmer should I get...?

HarleyGuy

Hi All,

I'm still putting together the HW for my 120 gal build and after running the 36 gal reef for a while I've made some changes in the configuration for the 120gal. (what a shock huh? lol)

One of the changes is the sump. I'm trying to maximize room under the tank to allow for a couple media reactors, a refugium, and I'll be running a manifold off of the DC pump and all of this will limit the space for a protein skimmer. I currently have a 40 gal sump that takes up all the space under the tank and it is split into 3 sections:

• Input section with the Skimmer
  • Fairly large Refugium section that will house the heater/s and a media reactor w Bio Pellets
  • Return section that will house the return pump and a second media reactor w Carbon/GFO

I'm currently looking at the Skimz Monster SM163 internal with it's internal DC pump, primarily because of the small footprint and the claimed performance. But there are a ton of Skimmer manufacturers out there, and a few with similar configurations like Reef Octopus, Vertex, Eshopps, etc..

So based on the requirement of 120 gallon mix reef, overloaded with fish ;), and a small footprint of space to cram it into, what do you think would best meet this need? :eusathink:

thanks,

John

I got the non-space saver version of the Octopus Elite 150 and it is an amazing skimmer. The compact version is the octopus elite 150 sss - http://www.coralvue.com/elite-150sss-space-saver-super-cone-skimmer, It has a super nice DC pump and has an auto shutoff float valve in the skimmer cup lid. So much better than the SCA302 I was previously using, they're hardly comparable. Super thick acrylic, completely silent, and half the power usage of an AC pump. Not sure what your budget is but I found mine new but unused on ebay for a really good deal.

15 hours ago, jestep said:

I got the non-space saver version of the Octopus Elite 150 and it is an amazing skimmer. The compact version is the octopus elite 150 sss - http://www.coralvue.com/elite-150sss-space-saver-super-cone-skimmer, It has a super nice DC pump and has an auto shutoff float valve in the skimmer cup lid. So much better than the SCA302 I was previously using, they're hardly comparable. Super thick acrylic, completely silent, and half the power usage of an AC pump. Not sure what your budget is but I found mine new but unused on ebay for a really good deal.

Hi jestep, thanks for the response. This RO skimmer does look like it will fit the bill, however it is around $300 more than this Skimz model. I'm not a skimmer expert so please take a look at the Skimz Monzter here and let me know what you think when comparing the two. http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/skimz-monzter-sm163-dc-internal-protein-skimmer.html?gclid=COGo-72zg9ICFci1wAodCFMJWQ

2 hours ago, HarleyGuy said:

One other question, RO makes the Regal model which also has the DC pump. How would that compare to the Elite?  http://www.marineandreef.com/Reef_Octopus_Regal_150_SSS_Space_Saver_Skimmer_p/RCV25187.htm?gclid=CIPC5cu3g9ICFYWEaQodCecLCw

I would imagine they're all going to be fairly similar as far as function, I think it may come down to the pump control and whether they have the built-in float valve. The Regal uses a valve to control the skimmer flow rate, the elite uses a standpipe, and I guess the skimz uses only the pump controller. 

I would definitely see if you can find someone with the Skimz to see how they like it. The reviews do seem to be pretty good, but even with a controllable DC pump, I still have to use the flow adjustment on the skimmer to get the proper level, the RO's use either the standpipe or the valve to control flow to the pump. 

Also, might be worth keeping an eye on ebay. I may have just gotten lucky but I got the elite for way under $300, so it may be possible to find one in your budget. 

Also, I wouldn't completely rule out AC if you can find a high end skimmer with a good pump. Some of the best skimmers still use sicce and some other AC skimmer pumps.

Archived