Installing a remote refugium

madsalt

So with my new tank build I want to install a remote refugium without drilling into my existing sump.  I have a 10 gallon tank that I want to use and I guess the biggest thing is making sure the flow coming into the refugium matches the water going out.

I am open to any ideas that y'all have in accomplishing a remote refugium 

i don't know how far you are going but don't use pumps to move water both ways.   Trying to match flow rate will be a constant job of tweaking output from the pumps.  Use gravity to drain one way and a pump to supply.   Simplest scenario probably is have the refugium higher than the sump and have a pump in the sump pushing to the refugium and drain back to the sump.

I was actually going to raise it.  I have plenty of room in the stand. I was going build a platform with my top off tank on the bottom and my refugium on top.  The question now is how would i drain back to the sump.  Would that require me drilling the 10 gallon tank?

4 hours ago, Isaac said:

I have a remote sump.  I simply raised my fuge 1.5" with some 2x4's.  doesnt take much :)

so what did you do to get water into the fuge and back into the sump

1 hour ago, Isaac said:

pump to fuge, gravity back to sump

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

i get the gravity part but do you have to drill a hole in the fuge?   the water can't simply flow over the edge of the 10 gallon tank.  

So I plan on drilling a tank for the remote refugium.  The question I have now is where should I place the hole and how hard is it to drill?  The fuge will sit at the end of my sump and I can elevate it as high as need to accommodate the gravity flow from the fuge back into the sump.  

2 hours ago, madsalt said:

So I plan on drilling a tank for the remote refugium.  The question I have now is where should I place the hole and how hard is it to drill?  The fuge will sit at the end of my sump and I can elevate it as high as need to accommodate the gravity flow from the fuge back into the sump.  

towards the bottom is typical, you can put an elbow inside w/ pvc up to set your surface level.  drilling it towards the top, you are stuck with that set level.  also, down towards the bottom it becomes more flexible for other uses if you decide to "renovate."  "how"... very carefully :)  there are a few on here who have done it... special hole saw, water, patience!

20170210_022904 (Medium).jpg20170210_022916 (Medium).jpg

I would do a horizontal overflow from the sump back to the tank. This will prevent potential issues of the return line getting clogged. Melv's reef and some others like glass holes make ones where you just drill the hole at the proper depth in the tank and the box has gaskets to prevent it from leaking. 

Something like these, one of the 600 - 700 gph+ kits: http://www.glass-holes.com/Overflow-Kits_c3.htm

4 hours ago, jestep said:

I would do a horizontal overflow from the sump back to the tank. This will prevent potential issues of the return line getting clogged. Melv's reef and some others like glass holes make ones where you just drill the hole at the proper depth in the tank and the box has gaskets to prevent it from leaking. 

Something like these, one of the 600 - 700 gph+ kits: http://www.glass-holes.com/Overflow-Kits_c3.htm

those are always nice, doesnt rory have something like that?

Archived