diesel3443's 80g SPS Reboot

diesel3443

• 4 weeks later...

Update on the tank.   

I have been having some random STN on a couple pieces that didn't make much sense.  One of the pieces is my Homewrecker which really blows.  I superglued that STN and hope it continues to hold...  Literally 98% of the coral in the tank is flourishing, but its always one of the expensive ones that needs to be a PITA.   Or else I am going to have to beg @FarmerTy for another 🤣 The only thing that I can possibly attribute it to is that I realized that my NYOS skimmer must not have been skimming for almost a couple weeks as the water was too low in the skimmer.  I tried fiddling with it for about an hour and couldn't get it to go any higher (and it sits in about 10" of water that is even 2" higher than the recommended 8").   Regardless I think it has to do with my bacterial dosing and nothing getting skimmed out, plus increased organics in the water wasn't helping Im sure.  

This being said, I decided to put my old skimmer on the tank that I had on my 150g, a Reef Octopus 200INT.  Complete monster and overkill for the 80g, but after running it a few days now, it was the right decision as my cyano problem disappeared as well. 

unnamed.jpg

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Oh no!  This is what you do to the pretty things I give you!? 😥

Kidding.  My "colony" is in heal mode for a couple months but should have some nice branches to cut off in the summer.

Hopefully the skimmer overkill alleviates the issue.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, FarmerTy said:

Oh no!  This is what you do to the pretty things I give you!? 😥

Kidding.  My "colony" is in heal mode for a couple months but should have some nice branches to cut off in the summer.

Hopefully the skimmer overkill alleviates the issue.

Crossing my fingers, LOL.   

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Some new pics.  Still figuring out settings on the camera with the new macro lens

Gonzo's Cookie Monster

_DSC0306.jpg

RR The Vihn

_DSC0302.jpg

RR Pink Cadillac 

_DSC0293.jpg

ORA Bellina 

_DSC0285.jpg

WWC Pink Panther

_DSC0275.jpg

BC Aquatic Man

_DSC0273.jpg

RMF Psychoberry

_DSC0268.jpg

• 3 months later...

As I have been horrible about updating this thread, I figured it may be time to do so.....

Unfortunately my tank has had some issue over the past few months that has resulted in some unforeseen STN and RTN.  My nitrates, that were at 20-25ppm all of a sudden (could have happened over a period of 2 weeks or so) disappeared. Then I really didn't do anything to counter act it and let it ride.   Coral health was definitely suffering and noticed what I thought was cyano but let it be.  About 30 days later what I thought was cyano at the time really started to take hold and the take looked like crap but I just didn't care.  I decided to do a chemiclean treatment and it really didn't put a dent in the pest.  It was about this time that I realized I had the dreaded dino's  and I have been fighting them ever since.    That all being said, I probably lost 5-6 pieces (mostly frags).

I am still battling some STN that I think is a result of either the dinos irritating the coral, some of the toxins released from the dinos.  I just added my UV sterilizer to the tank 2 days ago, and I believe I am seeing a reduction already in the dinos.  Hopefully the tank is turning a corner towards better health now. 

Also to add insult to injury, about a month ago my CSB decided to walk into a powerhead when I was on vacation....YAY... I literally found a mangled mess under the rock in the nano/frag/softie tank.   Good new there is it has made a 100% recovery and is now growing again.  I seriously almost threw up on that one...

• Like 1