Mr Z's not as tiny nano...IM Lagoon 25

MrZ2u

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, BobcatReefer said:

Late to the thread, but this is impressive!  

Where did you play lacrosse?  Are those AHS colors I see?

Those are SFASU colors and it was many many many moons ago...never really played, just played around.  Work kept me from being able to commit.

One of my best friends played there - Travis H.  Ran into another guy that played-ish there a couple of weeks back - Jeremy Z.  I played at SWT (obviously) and one of our funnest wins ever was at SFA.

Played aTm on Saturday, then headed to Nacanowhere.  Our best midfielder's older brother went there, so he disappeared to a fraternity party that night and didn't show back up until a couple minutes after the game had started on Sunday.  Because of a rugby tournament, our game was played in the football stadium, on turf.  And no one told us beforehand, so we were all wearing our field cleats, which was like playing on ice.  They also used a "no-skip" ball that wouldn't take off on the turf, but it was like a pool ball - rock hard.  We played w/ 11 guys total (vs their 25+), with only a single, rookie ref to handle the game, had an all-out brawl in the middle of the game, and still walked out w/ the W.  Goodness that was a long drive back to San Marvelous...

4 minutes ago, BobcatReefer said:

One of my best friends played there - Travis H.  Ran into another guy that played-ish there a couple of weeks back - Jeremy Z.  I played at SWT (obviously) and one of our funnest wins ever was at SFA.

Played aTm on Saturday, then headed to Nacanowhere.  Our best midfielder's older brother went there, so he disappeared to a fraternity party that night and didn't show back up until a couple minutes after the game had started on Sunday.  Because of a rugby tournament, our game was played in the football stadium, on turf.  And no one told us beforehand, so we were all wearing our field cleats, which was like playing on ice.  They also used a "no-skip" ball that wouldn't take off on the turf, but it was like a pool ball - rock hard.  We played w/ 11 guys total (vs their 25+), with only a single, rookie ref to handle the game, had an all-out brawl in the middle of the game, and still walked out w/ the W.  Goodness that was a long drive back to San Marvelous...

Stalker...you Tesla people are creepy! ;)

On 2/17/2017 at 9:57 PM, MrZ2u said:

Uggggg...now that I have hung it I dont like the lighting support.  The two bits that stick out past the crossmember really bug the crap out of me.  Gonna have to cut them off in the morning!  I think I need to find a new place for that picture as well :)

20170217_204246_zps8zv8b1gh.jpg

I have ditched this light hanger cause I don't like the arrangement of things. ($10 anyone? )

I put some rod couplers on the studs and built a new hanger where the light will mount directly to it.  It could make it harder to adjust the height if I need to do that in the future but not too bad.  Works perfectly and I have it dialed in to 10in off the top of the tank...feels right and based on what I have been reading about this particular light type thats probably about right?  

In a classic measure twice cut once moment I did...and I did it right but thought I didnt?   When I went to test fit I thought I made the arms too short so I plugged it and welded on some extensions.  Mounted the light and it was too far forward...turns out I had the length right the first time but brain farted the hole spacing/placement!  Gurrrrr...had it all painted before I figured that out as well.  Cut back down to size and painted the bits that melted away.  Pictures to follow later this week cause I am on the road again till Friday.  Its kinda good to have these forced breaks cause I need the forced patience!  

Eventually I will finish this!!!

41 minutes ago, Peter Gott said:

Are you going to keep the arms white?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes,  already painted and curing undisturbed for three days thanks to my trip...thats the advantage of the forced break :)

• 3 weeks later...

Been patiently waiting for this cycle to finish and it looks like it has finally.  Noticed the water has taken on a yellowish tint now though you cant really tell when the lights are on.  

Going to do a big water change I think to see if the tint goes away.  Any ideas what it might be from?  (see next post too.)

20170315_173911_zpso7geep6k.jpg

I've noticed the past couple days there is a sprinkling of this brown looking stuff...sandy looking but I haven't disturbed it to see how it moves.  Its only in the back corner/side of the tank where the powerhead is located.  

If there were a bunch of fish in here I would say it looks like their mess but there is nothing in here but the rock.  Thinking this might be whats causing the yellow tint.  Going to try to vacuum it off when I do a water change as best I can.

20170317_160022_zpsthxy2yfn.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Getting to some sense of how things will be now.  Still feel like I want to add a few things but I like how its looking finally.  Got past my algae bloom and water is really clean and clear.  Getting a little color to the rocks as well.  

I do have a film on the surface though and I don't know how to do anything about it.  Surface skimmer probably but I don't have a way to put one in unless I am missing something obvious.  I have an idea or two where it may be coming from and one of them is not something I will likely be able to remedy.  My wife puts those **** plugin things all over the house.  I am sure they put some level of suspended oil in the air and I imagine this is catching some of that.  Could be coming from the food for the fish as well.  Not sure I can do anything about that either since they aren't going anywhere. 

Any ideas...things I might be missing?

750fbd54-9abe-4600-a2d5-a84c1c61f6e6_zps  

1 minute ago, Jimbo662 said:

Anyone else kinda freak when they saw this face looking back at you?

That does kind of have a Mexican wrestler mask kind of vibe...

Just now, BobcatReefer said:

Point one of those returns up towards the water to break up the surface a bit. You're still going to have some dead spots, but it will knock a ton of that down.

I did and it didnt make a difference.  Gotta skim it somehow but I dont want anything else in the display part of the tank and I cannot use the surface skimmer part of the 9001 either, not that it would do as much in the back section.

Archived