Mr Z's not as tiny nano...IM Lagoon 25

MrZ2u

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well she saw it and threw a little fit.  I put out the logic calmly and said if it really bothered her that much I would make a cover to hide it from view.  

Then I tossed her my pants and said put those on.  She said these dont fit me.  I said, thats right and dont forget it.  (all in my head of course)

8 minutes ago, MrZ2u said:

Well she saw it and threw a little fit.  I put out the logic calmly and said if it really bothered her that much I would make a cover to hide it from view.  

Then I tossed her my pants and said put those on.  She said these dont fit me.  I said, thats right and dont forget it.  (all in my head of course)

:cheer:

All trimmed out, doors/hinges mounted and holes marked and removed again for paint.  Three coats of bare wood primer and just sprayed the second top coat.  Decided with SWMBO's input that white would be better to blend in with the house so its the same color as the baseboard trim which is going to make it stand out a little from the wall color but not as much as black would have.  If these two top coats settle out like I hope I will haul it upstairs this evening.  My poor stool...I may have to sand the top off to wood again.  Its got at least four projects worth of overspray on it :)

20170207_130809_zpshzyhtpyq.jpg 

Paint dry enough to move and I almost wish I wasn't going Cancun tomorrow cause I am so ready to start putting things together now!  I had to put the tank on it to see how it looks...vacation lets the paint cure till next Wed at least so tank back off and a lot less likely to stick to the paint later :)

20170207_164326_zpsx1kz03vl.jpg

20170207_164350_zpslqwyx15l.jpg 

Nice attention to detail. It looks like you flush cut the trim to get the stand all the way back to the wall.  I would add a yoga mat under the tank.  1/8 black is what I always use.  Amazon is your friend.

6 hours ago, Reburn said:

Nice attention to detail. It looks like you flush cut the trim to get the stand all the way back to the wall.  I would add a yoga mat under the tank.  1/8 black is what I always use.  Amazon is your friend.

The back of the stand is 1.75 inches in from the side walls for tubing to go down and at the bottom its cut to match the floor molding so that it slides all the way back to the wall.

I put heavy felt pads along the bottom so that they will set into the "hand scraped" floor surface.  It doesnt rock a bit and even with just its own weight seems to have leveled out pretty well.  Once I get it wet we will know better though.

1 hour ago, MrZ2u said:

The back of the stand is 1.75 inches in from the side walls for tubing to go down and at the bottom its cut to match the floor molding so that it slides all the way back to the wall.

I put heavy felt pads along the bottom so that they will set into the "hand scraped" floor surface.  It doesnt rock a bit and even with just its own weight seems to have leveled out pretty well.  Once I get it wet we will know better though.

That sounds like a good plan on the stand.  Most of us put the yoga mat intbetween the tank and stand.  Sorry I wasn't clearer.

29 minutes ago, Reburn said:

That sounds like a good plan on the stand.  Most of us put the yoga mat intbetween the tank and stand.  Sorry I wasn't clearer.

This tank already has a mat glued to it of some sort...not quite felt not quite neoprene but probably somewhere between 1/16th and 1/18th thick.

Getting closer to wet.  Gave up on the idea of the laser and cut some acrylic on the table saw instead.  3/16 pieces here cut to fit the first chamber on left and right side nice and snug.  At the router table I cut three 1/8 dados cut for media shelves.  I went with 1/8 acrylic shelves since I had some on hand and because I have a 1/8 end mill and not a 3/16 :) 

20170215_192904_zpsb0w21heb.jpg

Before the dados above I put a 90 deg bevel on the outside corners to clear the silicon bead in the chambers.

20170215_164648_zps64c1bavy.jpg

Cut my six shelves, double sided tape to stack them and then drilled some holes...this is matte finish vs clear cause thats what I had on hand and who cares what it looks like...

20170215_205523_zpsqvc4eqqw.jpg

Made a clamping jig to make things nice and square and then a bead of weldon #16 to fuse things together.

20170215_213633_zpslpyt36vj.jpg

...and thats what we have for tonight cause this needs some clamp time and I need some sleep.

Out of the clamping jig and into the world.  Not as pretty as laser cut but these will really never be seen so good enough is good enough.  My weldon #16 is starting to gel so its messy like silicon now and that is the ugliest part...guess I need a new tube!  

I put the solid walls on the front and back vs on the sides like I did on my other one...felt like it made more sense.

20170216_073407_zpsaqcfejvu.jpg

I removed the little lip that was there from the factory...it seemed to me that it would make removing the basket for service more difficult than it needed to be.  I also cut the front wall of the basket just a little below the glass wall in the chamber and put the shelf down a bit more than what inTank appears to do on theirs.  I figure this gives me the option to put a coarse sponge type pre filter above the finer floss and still have both below the water inlet.  

20170216_073530_zpsatbbxvkq.jpg

Man this is an awesome build, very impressed!!

I am am actually looking to start a 30 gallon shallow build soon and I may just have to hit you up for some ideas on building a stand for it as I believe it's pretty close to the same dimensions and I love the look of yours. Would def love to pic your brain when I get started.

Can't wait to see it all finished!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3 minutes ago, Jon.Hanna said:

Man this is an awesome build, very impressed!!

I am am actually looking to start a 30 gallon shallow build soon and I may just have to hit you up for some ideas on building a stand for it as I believe it's pretty close to the same dimensions and I love the look of yours. Would def love to pic your brain when I get started.

Can't wait to see it all finished!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sure...but beware, once you start picking my brain there may be things you cannot unsee ;)

9 minutes ago, centex99 said:

You mentioned 90 degree bevels?

Also, wouldn't weldon 4 make for cleaner baskets than the 16?

Yep, I just put a 90 on each outer corner of the basket so it would clear the silicone bead inside the chambers.  

Weldon #4 might be a little cleaner but this is an out of sight kind of project so meh...and also, I had #16 on hand :) 

Closer and closer...made a little bit of 'plumbing' for the ATO today.  I didnt like the thing I made for the other tank since it was going to be out in the open.  I cant get the stainless tube I have bent the way I want cause it is too thin so I got some 3/4in scrap acrylic, cut it to 2x2 inch and drilled a little right angle with a little siphon break at an angle that will spray towards the tank if it does at all.  It will have right angle quick lock out the back when the paint dries...black.

20170217_123944_zpstatgphrn.jpg

Also I got the light stand/hanger fabricated.  Made with 1/2 square 16ga steel tube.  Its three feet tall at the moment and has holes every inch from the bottom so I can adjust the height as much as 20 inches above the tank.  It extends about 1.5 inches past the center of the display area and has a cross support in what will be the middle of the lights footprint and once I insure the measurements are right I will drill the holes for the hanging wires...ran out of time to do anymore today.

20170217_150133_zpsdlszxn4f.jpg

20170217_155002_zpsxquq113w.jpg

My light choice is similar to one of those Mara-Aqua.  It was a little more but I like that it has an internal timer for each channel, only one R13 plug vs two and also has a couple UV LED’s that the Mars-Aqua doesn’t.  It also has a remote which is I guess nice.  Its not needed but its kinda cool I guess.  Otherwise it’s about the same sort of unit.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01KJHWHYK/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 

Channel 1:18 x Cool white(10000k-16000K), 6 x Neutral whites(6500-7500K), 2 x Green 520nm and 2 x Deep red 660nm
Channel 2:14 x Royal Blue 450nm, 9 x Blue 470nm, 2 x Violet 420nm and 2 x UV 400nm

Since I went white on the stand to match the house better I am thinking of doing that with the light hanger as well.  I really want to take the unit apart and paint the case as well but it has a warranty seal on it and I don’t wish to void that ya know.  We will see…

20170217_194044_zps8ctike69.jpg

20170217_193956_zpskexpc6af.jpg

The hanging hardware is kind of interesting.  The larger cylinder on the drop line is a friction stopper.  You just pull the wire thru the center and it wont pull back unless you depress the smaller tube coming out of the top.  I'm thinking thru a way to mount this in the tubing of the stand. 

20170217_195222_zpsgr7ur5mi.jpg

Uggggg...now that I have hung it I dont like the lighting support.  The two bits that stick out past the crossmember really bug the crap out of me.  Gonna have to cut them off in the morning!  I think I need to find a new place for that picture as well :)

20170217_204246_zps8zv8b1gh.jpg

Archived