Mr Z's not as tiny nano...IM Lagoon 25

MrZ2u

Only thing I ended up putting in the other project that took forever to, well, not complete, not really, was live rock.  It was too big to put it where I originally thought I would and too small for where I decided it would go.  Saw the Innovative Marine Lagoon 25, knew it would fit perfectly in the new space and so I just ordered it and suddenly there was a big box on the porch this afternoon!

So it begins!

20170127_201927_zps3vzbw7a6.jpg

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply
23 hours ago, Reburn said:

Looks good!!

are you making the stand?

Definitely making the stand.  I was going to make the aquarium but the glass alone was going to be substantially more that just buying this tank.  I was going to make it a dead on 24x24X14 and have the display abd back section be a 2in bigger than this one but its not worth as much more as it was going to be to me so store bought it is!

Plans are to have the stand come up just a little less level with the hand rail, maybe .5 to .75 inch.  I want to have a sliding shelf on the bottom that I hope is big enough for a bucket of salt and the 5gal jug for the ATO.  A secondary shelf above it for a UPS and misc. and then a drawer at the top for testing chems/refracto and common tools.  Having trouble visualizing it right now because I am stuck on a mental plumbing problem with the ATO jug.  I havent been able to put hands on anything since this came in Friday...honestly I wasnt expecting it till like Wednesday or so.  

Its in the garage full of water for a leak check right now and will be for a few days.  The stock pump seems pretty anemic.  Definitely allows for some dead spots in the corner below the overflows.  Also, the filter socks it came with are crap...water can totally flow right over the top of them.  Wondering if I got ones for a different tank or something.  Definitely need to make a call about those tomorrow.  I think I am going to end up making some baskets for this one anyway.  May have to pay for some laser time.

Progress made...I work from home when I am not traveling.  Its end of quarter/year and I am SLOW so I decided to "work" a little today rather than work ;)

Squared off some 2x4s to 1.5x3 and built a skeleton...total overkill but thats not a bad thing.  Its all screwed and glued for good measure.

20170131_141828_zps6tn1s1ld.jpg

Wrapped it in 1/2 11-ply left over from my last project and topped/floored and made a shelf with 3/4 ply left over from another project.  Its all glued and stapled to the skeleton.   I ran out of the 1/2 so I didnt get to the front.  Hard to see but notice the notch in the back.  The top and sides go past the skeleton by 1.75 inch.  I will notch the bottoms so it can clear the floor molding and go flush to the wall.  The notch is to run cords and tubing thru.  Ideally there will be no space behind where you see anything.  Tempted to paint it white to be honest.  I may match the floor molding in the house around the bottom and If I do I will probably trim this similar to some cabinets I built downstairs.  This should make SWMBO happy, having it look more like part of the house.

20170131_162006_zps4tlduari.jpg

I plan to use the Tunze Comline 9001 but in the tanks factory configuration the skimmer can't really go anywhere.  The second chambers are too small and the plumbing in the middle prevent it from attaching to the wall of the second chambers as well.  I tried to trim down the plumbing but as small as it can be made it still pushes hard on the skimmer body.  

I will have a wave maker on one side so I drilled out one hole big enough for a 1/2in loc-line fitting to be installed (because the factory fitting does not articulate as well as loc-line) attached a “Y” and split some segments and voilà…problem solved and better than the other mods I have seen if I do say so myself :)

20170202_111903_zpskqxpr9fg.jpg

20170202_111910_zpspccqb0bo.jpg

Gotta follow your progress on this.  I was just looking at this tank on BRS not realizing it was the same one you had.  I've run out of room in my current tank. :-(

Do don't happen to work for Dell do you?

What are the inside dimensions of it?

2 hours ago, Jimbo662 said:

Gotta follow your progress on this.  I was just looking at this tank on BRS not realizing it was the same one you had.  I've run out of room in my current tank. :-(

Do don't happen to work for Dell do you?

What are the inside dimensions of it?

Not as of November 1 when DSG was sold off...why do you ask? 

Not exactly tank but related since it needs power and there is (or was) none on the wall against which I am putting this and most importantly SWMBO is at work so not around to question what I am doing :)

Locate stud and cut hole in drywall.
20170203_090901_zpsirlq6leu.jpg

1. Locate same stud in attic
  2. Poke a hole in the top beam next to said stud.
  3. Insert Romex
  4. Exit attic while praying the Romex is just sitting there at the hole so you dont have to fish for it.
  5. Give thanks for answered prayer in step 4.
  6. Wire it up and vacuum away the evidence
  7. Wonder if SWMBO will even notice the new outlet :)

20170203_095844_zpsxrzepx91.jpg

And to round out the day I have almost finished the stand.  I still need to mount the side door and trim the top but this was a semi productive afternoon.

The side door came to me the other night.  It will open down like an oven to access the ATO, wave controller and whatever else might benefit from that sort of access. Will have to offset a back frame to hang all that on or maybe have it on the door itself...not decided yet.  Didnt have hinges for it so no joy today...two busy weeks coming up as well so this may be it for a while which is a bummer.

20170203_182540_zpsgjbur8d2.jpg 

41 minutes ago, jolt said:

It's looking very good so far.  If you can support the side door while open then it could make a nice little work shelf too ...

I thought a little about that...couple of small chains would do the trick.  If I dont end up mounting control electronics on it then I may.  The shelf in there is not fixed to the stand yet.  I may make that a drawer still...havent decided just yet. 

What was your method of connecting the plywood to frame?

I think I might make a 1x4 frame and wrap in plywood on sides/rear and real wood on front... But may ditch the 1x4 frame altogether... This being for my 40g breeder... I may extend the sides like you to hide plumbing as well, but not sure how I'll hide it where it's directly behind the tank vs stand (side view)....

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

13 hours ago, centex99 said:

What was your method of connecting the plywood to frame?

I think I might make a 1x4 frame and wrap in plywood on sides/rear and real wood on front... But may ditch the 1x4 frame altogether... This being for my 40g breeder... I may extend the sides like you to hide plumbing as well, but not sure how I'll hide it where it's directly behind the tank vs stand (side view)....

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Glued and stapled (brads) for the shell to the frame.  Working on something for the back above the stand as well...standby.

Brad holes filled and drying on the stand so while I wait for that so I can sand I figured I would hang the RO/DI unit.  Also cause SWMBO isnt home which makes it more of a beg for forgiveness sort of thing...I am not sure if I should point it out or let her find it :huh:  For some reason she is particular about the laundry room and I honestly dont know why...its purely utility and honestly, where the hell else is a better place for this to be?  Will one of you call her and explain it please :) 

20170204_152142_zpsjyumua4v.jpg

Archived