Divekam's 175g [re]build

divekam

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

and new pump! Jebao DC-12000.  its only running at 2 "dots"  who makes a progress bar w/ 6 dots? 16.66% a dot... good job guys.  anyways, 33% on this new pump is equal to 100% of old pan pan world px100.  room for more flow and a manifold.....later :)

20170215_203340 (Medium).jpg

what do you do when the pump on your reef octopus gen1 hasnt been made in a longlong long time?  dundun dun, macgyver it!

20170213_155202 (Medium).jpg20170217_171802 (Medium).jpg

yes, thats a lazy-man PVC splicer.... not much choice when dealing with metric PVC!

• 3 weeks later...

the rocks have cycled!! well, close enough to add the rest of the rocks anyways.  Last wekend we added some haldies that came w/ my tank originally... really sped things up!  cycle time: 4weeks.

ammonia 0

nitrite <.25

nitrate ~15

pH 8.2

20170310_164056 (Medium).jpg

20170310_164104 (Medium).jpg

20170310_164126 (Medium).jpg

So, i cant believe it... 5 days later... ammonia/nitrite... ZERO, nitrate still around 15. most diatoms are caught in the sock too. How the heck did the second batch cycle in under 5 days?  AND we have algae now too!  I guess tossing MY old change water in, and the holding tank's skimmate in helped.  I'll be doing a sanity check tomorrow... this seems a bit too quick.  If we're still at zero, i guess we're aquascaping this weekend.  "test fish" and CUC soon after!

20170315_181721 (Medium).jpg

20170315_181729 (Medium).jpg20170315_181755 (Medium).jpg

1 minute ago, BobcatReefer said:

Question for you Isaac:  Why not aquascape first, then add water and cycle?  

well, we used his RO/Di to fill it.. took... 2-3 days?  I dont want only ro/di-water inside the rocks, there is no circulation in some of those.  why we went w/ water/mix first, add rocks after.  why half and half rocks?..He had too much rock, we had about 50% acid washed and ready, and not the other half. no point in buying extra containers to soak in acid when you can do it in stages.  Plus I think cycling it all at once would have taken longer, no?  Adding to an already cycled system is always faster in my experience (just not THIS fast).  While its going to be a PIA and a mess to take everything out to aquascape, i think we shaved some weeks off by jumpstarting it this way.   plus, i thnk some of the "base" look good already.. and we just dropped it in, so it has a somewhat boulder-pile natural look in spots.  he wants some caves/shelves.. so we're definitely gonna be moving crap around.  something his tank has mine doesnt is "depth"... i plan on having more "sand" areas on this one.... after all, its now an extension of mine.. using my change water n all :)  MUAHAHAHAAAAAAAA.  lugging 30gals across the street is... bleh.

29 minutes ago, BobcatReefer said:

Short answer:  Time  :D

yes, extra messy steps to save overall time. :)  in a patience hobby, cutting time where possible is friggin awesome.

• 4 weeks later...

the holding tank is no more!  we've moved all the corals, fish, & snails to the main tank.  moved the lights back.   everything is at the bottom, we'll move them up once acclimated to the light again.   By the time i got the lights back on the tank, it started getting blue... ill try and get better picts tomorrow.

20170411_190714 (Medium).jpg

20170411_190719 (Medium).jpg

20170411_190722 (Medium).jpg

• 1 month later...

tank looking good lately.  we have some loss, which i think is related to a heater not behaving.  He picked up an apex (yay!) which i put in place lastnight.  Hopefully managing the heater down to .5 w/ the apex will help.  All parameters in the system are w/in range.  The heater was ON at 82 lastnight before we put the apex inline.... ugh.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived