Question about a 180 gallon setup

Wadeifer

I'm helping a friend setup a 180 gallon aquarium this weekend but it has some bulkhead fittings through the back of the glass i'm not sure what to do with (see pictures) any ideas? It has two corner overflows with 1 drain and 1 return each so i'm good there but just have no idea what these are for.

IMG_2453.jpg

IMG_2455.jpg

most likely used to drain it out or a lowlow return.  if there was an overflow there, they would have nice a box around it, or he put an elbow on it to raise the drain to the surface ontop and you could see the plumbing (yuck).   do you have a wider angle shot? is there an overflow box next to that?

Thanks for all the feedback so far; ill post some additional pictures tonight. There is on overflow in the left back corner and one overflow in the right back corner. These fittings are more toward the middle. In the first picture you can see there is 1 1/2 to 2" bulkhead with a cap on it and to the right (and up a little) of that there is a 3/4" one with no cap. There's also a second 1 1/2 to 2" bulkhead on the back right that's not in the first photo but you can see the pipe for it in the forefront and center of the second picture.

ok, those "extra" holes are more than likely additional "under-rock" returns, or drains for maintenance.  If you use them as returns, make sure to plumb them up above water level (behind the tank, not in the tank), and plumb in an airbreak so the siphon breaks if your pump turns off.   easiest way it to tap a 1/4 or 3/8 threaded hole at the top of the loop, and plumb a smaller line to the overflow area. (tap kits are available at harbor fright under 30 bucks, sometimes as low as 10!) depending on a backflow device is not recommended in saltwater aquariums (any aquarium really).

Ok thanks; that's sort of what I was thinking. The tank came with two pumps (photos attached) and from what I can tell the second pump was maybe connected to the fittings in question as a closed loop system in which case I don't think i would need an air break or to loop them above the water line correct? Also, if there is no cage around the the closed loop system wouldn't i risk sucking up a fish, snail or something else?

IMG_2449.jpg

IMG_2450.jpg

Ok so if it is for a closed loop system do i need an air break?

Do i need a screen over the intake to keep from sucking up fish and critters?

Any suggestions on improving the setup for a closed loop system?

Archived