280 gallon Build

SAM

I like the pool analogy.  Those guys know plumbing for sure
55n6f.jpg.619d54a3f62e01fd3a488965a117cefb.jpg

Did you sneak into my backyard and take a pic of my pool? You could have at least peeped into my window or waved hello first

I would add something under those pumps or a way to drain them if you need to service them. That’s the only issue I had with my external pumps. No way to drain them once I shut off the valve. Made servicing them a pain.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Maybe I’m over thinking it, but how do you “dial in” you chiller flow with it plumbed like that? Do you just leave the valves open and hope for the best?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I had the same question too but I believe it was explained to me by using the 1.5in valve in between the 2 T connector to adjust the how much the main flow get to go directly to the return and how much it will be diverted into the chiller. I'm also to figure out by how long it takes the chiller to take down the temp to finalize the amount of flow being allowed to flow through the chiller. chiller does have a recommend flow rate but I don't have an apex flow measure connector lol.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

• 1 month later...

Being awhile since I last updated:

Finally finished plumbing the RODI system & all the water storage including my 2 old 40gallon & the new 150gallon.  One of the old 40g will be used for water top off plumb with the Tunze 3155 <---will probably eventually replace with the Apex once it dies out.  

20180630_091152.jpg

Definitely upgraded my system, added a Chlorine Buster unit, 100gpd piggy back RO Membrane, and another dual DI at the end.   So now, I can produce 190 gallon of water per day.  

20180630_091140.jpg

As you can see from the video below, the TDS is pretty good now.  😁

Oh yea, I also finished my rockscape with plenty of holes for fishes to swim through & tons of mounting spaces for corals....will add sand to it soon.

20180617_202911.jpg20180617_202941.jpg

20180616_183733.jpg

20180616_183743.jpg

Edited by SAM
  • Like 2

also got on the waiting list with Bud on Turbo's Aquatics Algae Scrubber....really have no idea how long its gonna take cuz his main engineer job just cut back and he's the only engineer left for his department plus he's trying to figure better light situation for the L8 and L16 model.  So this is to hoping..... lol

Did Seth hang your RO/DI? That thing seems like its way up high! I'd be dripping water in my face every 6 months changing out filters.

Rockscape looks good buddy!
nope did it myself lol. just wanna have room underneath for my wife stuff

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/30/2018 at 1:42 PM, FarmerTy said:

Did Seth hang your RO/DI? That thing seems like its way up high! I'd be dripping water in my face every 6 months changing out filters.

hell, coulda been anyone ty, doesnt look that high for us normal height folks.

I love the repurposed coffee table.  plus lots of room to expand the filters later!

• Like 2

hell, coulda been anyone ty, doesnt look that high for us normal height folks.
I love the repurposed coffee table.  plus lots of room to expand the filters later!

I think that’s the old canopy?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sam, what's the purpose for the 2nd 40g water container?
the middle 40g one is strictly for water top off, the left 40g just extra at this point lol. I was gonna use it for fast mix salt station etc..

haven't update for awhile now. it took me couple weeks to get it filled with sand, fine tune the sump, flow plus I was literally sick for almost a week in the middle of all of these thing. now it is finally in the cycle phase. starting to get the RMS railing up for the lights, installed the apex system, fix the chiller (there was a bad wire), fix the leak, breaking in the skimmer, installed the heater.

next on the agenda is to add the frag racks to the frag tank, fix the penductor since I broke one when I was tweaking it lol. finish installing lights, i only have 2 gen4pro at the moment, need to get 2 more. still on the waiting list for the L8 algae scrubber. ordered my lid cover from octolid - it will come with a feeder hinge and a cut out for the auto feeder chimney.

definitely have plenty of flow (these 2 pumps is blowing my sand everywhere lol) from the reeflo barrcuda/hammerhead pump + the ocean motion/reeflo Dart but still wanna add 2 more mp40wqd at both side of back wall of display tank to serve as backup, additional flow since I already have an ecotech backup battery in case of power failure. might invest in another backup battery in the future.

still need to get more RMS mounting for the frag tank for my 3 gen2 lol.....totally forgot I have nothing to mount them on.

I will post more picture in the coming weeks with more progress.

oh yea, I still gotta calibrate my salinity, ph, orp probe....just being lazy right now.

this has being a tremendous undertaking, way more than I thought it will be. lots of frustration for sure and road blocks. yet I'm chipping at it little bit at a time. I'm getting closer and closer. i feel like I learned so much about this tank like as if I'm learning how to raise a kid lol. really want to shout out to both Jim and Seth for all the support, wisdom, and encouragement! b4e5e79d63f5233c32124e588e16a227.jpg

• Like 4

got my rendering of my display tank custom Octolid - got a hinge feed door front center with a cut out for an autofeeder chimney at the left top corner.

also got my frag rack installed. cb9068282890d987a50ee924328150ab.jpgd556b4d81f2d9912d8b8f10b14441294.jpg

• Like 3

so I finally gave in and change the plumbing for the main return.....it was just way too loud with the vibration plus the PVC was like an amplifier lol.....didnt help too much even in the garage. so I added 2 pieces of barbed flex hose to reduce the vibration. I gotta say, it was money well spent. so much better now. dbe19bb357b669bd0f0692a4afa3e887.jpg

• Like 2

yuuuup.  if you set the pump on one of those gardening foam pad things, it'll isolate it even more [emoji4]
agreed, it's already on 2 of those 1in thick blue/black vibration pad already but it wasn't doing enough lol