280 gallon Build

SAM

Upgrade from 150 - in sanding phase of the stand so I can re-stain it to a darker color to match furniture. 

Here's the original color of the stand from front and side view - just clearing it up and prepping it for standing took a while since my garage is pack with stuff lol

Stand front not sand.jpgstand side not sand.jpg

Today I have started sanding, my 1st time using a orbital sander - its quite amazing but its taken some time just to do a little.  For anyone that being to my house know that I have 4 kids.  They usually need more attention on the weekends since there's no school lol.  I estimating it will take me couple weeks to get this stand sand down while I joggle with the kids at the same time.  

stand front partial sand.jpgstand side partial sand.jpg

One can see that I would have use hand to sand the detailed area.  It's definitely encouraging to see that I finally started it!!!!  I was dragging it forever lol.   

Edited by SAM
adding more info
  • Like 3

• 4 months later...

Latest update, finished the stand and thanks to Seth and Jim, we got the tank finally on the stand into the formal dining room.

Now I'm cleaning up the rest of the equipment. I've also started ordering sand, rock, salt, etc. Also I've send out quote request to several different vendors on a frag tank with stand so that we can plumb it into the same system.

It's definitely quite exciting to see the build moving along! 891cc7b5a077ec8bc752171fecec067b.jpg

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Yes, a new build begins!  I still have a small colony grown from the first acro frag I ever got, it came from a little ORA MIMF blue bottlebrush nub you gave me.  There's a frag of it waiting for your new tank ... 

• Like 1

I like to take a vote or hear open suggestion on light placement and setup. I just read a thread recently on R2R, a member setup his tank about similar dimension as mine, 6x2.5x2.5 and he's getting away with only just 4 Radion gen 4pro due to the new spread he's getting from the lens. Only thoughts? Thanks!

I used to use 3 radion gen 2 on my old 150g setup but that was only a 5x2x2 foot print. I had my radion 2 at 80% output.

I got suggested to upgrade the gen 2 to gen 3 pro plus add 2 more gen 4 pro in between all lined up across the new 280 tank.

I wanted to see if I can get away with just 4 radion gen 4 pro and sell the 3 old radion gen 2?

• Like 1

Ok, just ordered my frag tank/stand with Marc from Melev in Ft. Worth.  It's gonna be a 36x36x10 frag tank, had to change the height of stand to 35in for it to fit through the front door lol.  Marc had to remind me of that, originally wanted a 36in tall stand lol...oops!!!  Once its done, I'll drive up there and pick it up.  so if anyone need to order anything from him, I can pick it up for you too =)

• Like 1

Sweet Sam. Not sure how I missed the first thread. Glad to see the big tank in the house. That frag tank will be nice. Is Marc building the stand too? I may need to look into that for a frag tank as well.

How high off the water is the canopy? You could always add a few 4' T5 lamps to help supplement the Radions if you need, although I've heard that new G4 are really powerful

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Sweet Sam. Not sure how I missed the first thread. Glad to see the big tank in the house. That frag tank will be nice. Is Marc building the stand too? I may need to look into that for a frag tank as well.

How high off the water is the canopy? You could always add a few 4' T5 lamps to help supplement the Radions if you need, although I've heard that new G4 are really powerful

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yep Marc is building the stand too. I would say he gave the best deal compare to 5 other vendors I got quote from.

For the build, we've decided to go with no canopy, open look. Gonna buy some Radion RMS to hang the lights this time. Going for the clean look lol.