Building your own tank?

MrZ2u

Has anyone here built from scratch their own tank?  I knew that little 3.7 wouldn't last long before I wanted something bigger but I did expect it to be up and running for a few months at least.

Been watching videos and it seems pretty darned straightforward to me.  Anyone try it and can confirm or deny?

I haven't but in my experience building and modifying tanks and sumps, I would think getting correctly cut and beveled glass is going to be one of the more difficult aspects of it. Otherwise, how are the joints normally done so they're perfectly square? That would be #1 as far as actual construction goes, and was a bit of a trick for the glass overflow boxes I did a few years ago. I'm sure it's way easier on a smaller tank than trying something huge or tiny right from the start though.

Definitely interested in seeing how this turns out if you do one.

Well the idea is in my head so its really just a matter of time.  I plan to put this little 3.7 here after I build a stand for it and when looking at the area I thought it was perfect for something like the fusion lagoon 25...which I could just buy but as always, I like to build stuff.  Figuring out the glass sizes is easy enough but finding a place to cut and bevel is as you pointed out the hard part.  It may end up cost prohibitive.  Years ago I was going to build my own 200gal (give or take) but the glass was so expensive it was flat out cheaper to buy one, an Oceanic at that, than JUST the glass.  Of course that was big, thick glass so I am sure that skewed things a little.  I am talking about something around 14x24x24 so thats a lot less and thinner glass.  Just feel like this space is begging for that to fill it...

20170117_170659_zpsvkd6t4os.jpg

I went down a similar road and for me It comes down to - do getting the exact dimensions you want out weigh the piece of mind... and like you mentioned - more importantly, price. After you account for the glass. (which jestep politely referred to...personally I've had glass cut at binswanger off burnet a handful of times and have gotten correct cuts one time.) Then account for the silicone, clamps, ply and time spent...

The IM 25 lagoon is tough to look away from at the price brs has it at, and it has a warranty.

Building your own stand though, with your craftsmanship, and having the right tools on hand - no brainer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

+1 to buy the tank, exercise your construction skills in the stand and equipment.  Especially on a second story with those floors, I'd want the peace of mind of having had someone else do it.

Well the project just died anyway...the "cheap glass", cut in house at Binswanger is already $60 more than the IM 25 Lagoon so for that reason alone I aint doing it.  I guess I expected that considering this was such a small project it would have been a lot less.   

From a construction perspective it was no concern to me really.  I mean, its just gluing together glass really...do it clean and with good materials and you are done.  It did need to be less expensive by a couple bucks or so.  Bummer really cause I really like to say I built it myself whenever I can.   Guess I need to get crazy with a stand now...also gotta figure out how to get SWMBO onboard cause I cannot hide this much funding in my "craigslist" dealings ;)

I've built a few over the years and if you want glass the best way is to find free glass on craigslist and use RTV108 which is twice the tensile strength of standard RTV.   Cutting glass isn't that hard as long as you're not trying to cut anything less than 3" wide.  A

Archived