T5 retro kit or fixture?

Hey everyone,

I am planning to setup a 40g tank here in the next few months and would like some help with my lighting.

I have done t5 before and recently been running leds. I am wanting to go back to t5s and when I have some extra spending money I will add leds to the mix. I also plan to have a hood on this tank so mounting won't be an issue. It will be a mixed reef ranging from easy acros to some zoas.

My questions are:

1. Should I buy a fixture or just get a couple of LET retrofit kits from BRS?

2. Considering doing a 24in x 4 bulb setup so I am lower light corals on the sides? Thoughts? If not, then a 36in x 4 bulb setup.

3. Anyone know of good videos/articles to look at for retro kit installs?

4. Should I just go without a hood? Why?

Any help is always appreciated.

Thanks,

Josh

There are a lot of T5 LED bulbs entering the market. That means that you should be able to buy a used T5 fixture fairly cheaply and use bulbs if you want. You can then buy an LED bulb replacement and use it in the T5 fixture. If you like it then you could replace a bulb at a time. If not, keep the bulbs.

T5s are cheap and easy but require regular replacement.

I personally didn't go with a hood because I was running Metal Halide and T5s. The hood would trap heat and made my tank worm up. With an open canopy or just fixture this doesn't become a problem. However, tank noise is much louder and fish can jump out if you don't have a canopy. Just things to consider.

On my very first tank (10+ years ago), I had a T5 retrofit. I found that over time it didn't hold up the same as a well-built fixture.

You can find a wide variety of T5 fixtures out there. Some are more expensive, some are relatively cheap. On my LAST tank (that we broke down assuming we were moving out of state), I went with an ATI 6 bulb fixture... Although we didn't have it long, I LOVED it. Whenever the husband and I get into a home and put in a big tank, we'll be using ATI fixtures again. Just keep in mind that you do have to replace the bulbs every so often, and they run anywhere from $25-$40ea.

Hoods trap heat in my experience. :\

Hope this helps!

Thanks for the replies!

This definitely helps. I have not considered the t5 led bulbs and will need to research more about them.

The hood isn't a requirement but it is nice to be able to not worried about jumping fish as much and to hide the fixture. I was looking at the ATI fixtures and like them but I don't like the cost.. do y'all think I could get away with a 2ft 4 bulb fixture?

Check out the reef brite tech LED strips. I was able to fit one in the T5 space of a MH/T5 fixture, but you could also mount it to the outside of the fixture. Their blue ones really make everything pop and are significantly more powerful than several T5 actinic bulbs from what I was seeing.

I am going to wait to add leds until later but I like the idea of strips, bulbs, or a couple small fixtures like the AI primes.

I have given up on the good idea. I think I will just use the money I would have spent on that on a nicer light. So now I am looking at ATI fixtures. I am thinking 6 bulbs would be nice but I would prefer the 4 bulb for budget and bulb replacement costs. Do y'all think a 4 bulb would be sufficient for sps in the top half of the tank? I assume with a higher quality fixture and bulbs that I won't have to go over board on bulb count like I would with a wave point or something.

Let me know thoughts.

Thanks,

Josh

Archived