The Madsalt 175g Peninsula

madsalt

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Let there be water. I got the RO/DI system hungup and the lines connected. I just need to go get some storage barrels but I have 50 and 20 gallon Brute cans I can put water in until I get a more permanent solution.

post-2485-0-50992800-1484601686_thumb.jp

The water pressure is awesome so no need for a booster pump. That makes the wife happy, one less thing to buy.

post-2485-0-39517900-1484601700_thumb.jp

Remember to change your filters often. Every 6 months or so. Or get a volumizer so you can track. This includes the membrane every 6 months to a year. If it's used I would change it now.

Rant: I am firm believer that top off water that isn't clean and pure is the leading cause of algae problems and unexplained problems with people's tanks.

This system was brand new, got a smokin deal on it like half the retail price. In fact parts of it were still wrapped in the bubble wrap it was shipped in.

I plan on setting my replacement schedule for every six months, the filters aren't that expensive and I think it is worth it. I'll track my water and decide if I'll change the membrane sooner than a year. I think one year is a good place for the membrane, again not that expensive so no big deal.

The 175 is all wet, a little hazy still but it's getting there.  I have a leak in one of the return lines, i'll fix it tomorrow.  

I used my rock, sand and about 60 gallons of water from my 75.  I am hoping this helps keep it from cycling or keeps it small.  I'll keep an eye on the parameters and take action as needed.  

IMG_6351.JPG

IMG_6352.JPG

IMG_6353.JPG

13 hours ago, Jimbo662 said:

It lives again!!!!!!

Yes it does.

My Jebao PP15 arrived today so I'll put that in once I get home.  

The tank is actually lit by one light fixture with 2 4ft T8 bulbs 6500k.  6500K wasn't my first choice but they were cheap and I needed the light last night, It lights it up great.  I'll probably switch to some 50/50 T8 bulbs until I decide on my permanent lighting.

So far so good.  The tank is clearing up nicely right now I only have a filter sock for filtering.  My wife is worried that I took a pic without the sand being spread but I have more to add so it's all good.

IMG_6357.JPGIMG_6354.JPG

I have the Jebao PP15 and wow this thing is powerful.  I only have  it on two and the entire tank is rockin.  I do not really see the need to go any higher, once I have two it will be out of control

All of the critters seem to be doing fine except for one damsel that seems stressed and is hiding in the corner.  My green coris wrasse is still hiding.  I just thought I would post a few pics. 

IMG_6367.JPGIMG_6368.JPGIMG_6362.JPG

5 hours ago, Jimbo662 said:

WOW...someone has been busy!!!!

I have, unfortunately this is where things come to a stand still.  I'll let things settle and mature a bit and wait for my bank account to recover and then I'll look at adding additional equipment, fish and then go down the coral path.

I decided to add my second jebao PP15, I love Amazon Prime, ordered yesterday and arrived today.  Just having the one on the left side provided flow but it was limited even though I could turn it up if I wanted.  A single pump just wasn't stirring things up like I wanted.  Once I added the second one it kicked up all kinds of stuff.  These pumps are crazy powerful and in the video, the water agitation is from both pumps running at level one across a 6 foot tank   

• 2 weeks later...

Did a little work on the ATO/remote fuge.  The ATO is beneath and offset so i can fill it.  The fuge is on top and will be fed with mj900 doing about 750 gallons an hour.  The return is gravity fed back to the return chamber of the sump.  

IMG_6412.JPG

IMG_6413.JPG

IMG_6414.JPG

New remote refugium is in  place and flowing great.  I need to add rock rubble and macro algae.  If anyone has any i'd be willing to pay.

The fuge flows using a 750gph pump in the sump through the 1/2" pipe that has holes in it.  It then gravity flows through 1" pvc into the return chamber.  It's a bit dicey right now if it were to clog, it could overflow and that would be bad.  The odds of that happening are really slim as there is nothing in it.  Once I get my controller I will be able to put things in place to protect it.

I am pretty happy with it, just need to get the goodies in it and make it useful.  

IMG_6416.JPGIMG_6417.JPG

Archived