Possible young snail, growing fast, odd shape

AlexMorsePremium

Spotted this guy on my back wall the other day

Vd2Md5L.jpg

Today found him near some zoas and noticed he'd grown and changed shape noticeably

V1u2IDl.jpg

I *thought* it was a snail, maybe a spiny astraea? but now it's spines seem to be hugging that rock, and that's not a very snaily thing to do...

That's 2 different astrerinas. They reproduce by splitting and can have from 4 to 8 "legs". You don't see them very often but each "leg" has a bunch of tube feet like their bigger siblings species. They reproduce by splitting so the "legs" may be different sizes like in the first picture. I've never had any problems with them in all the years I've been keeping them. There are reports of them eating polyps and corals but I think in most of these cases there was an overriding issue causing problems and the asterinas were just doing their job and cleaning up.

Just remember polyps can have algae growing on them and asterinas will try to eat the algae. Seeing an asterina on a polyp doesn't mean it's actually attacking the polyp but might actually be an indicator you have another problem that's starting to show itself.

Archived