I fell off the wagon . . . back into the salt addiction

Todd Council

Hi, my name is Todd.

Just when my life was simplifying, I decided to jump back into salt and set up a reef tank. I kept salt water in the 80 and early 90s when a trickle filter and some actinic lights let you grow some anemones. I took a little break to help raise my sons and concentrate on some other hobbies so I have been tankless for quite a while.

This last year I set up a 30 gallon planted tank in my classroom and put some amano shrimp and red cherry shrimp in the tank and BAM, rekindled the desire to get back into salt. I have been visiting aquarium shops, reading this forum, and researching all the changes that have taken place in the hobby over the last 25 years.

I was planning on starting with a new tank BUT this past week I bought an established 175 gallon reef tank. I couldn't pass it up but realizing the daunting task of moving fish and corals across town, I contacted one of the members on ARC to see about helping with the move. Thanks in advance for putting up with my questions as I try to get back in the saddle. I'll let you know how the move goes!

Peace

Todd

Exactly, Jestep! There is a lot of buffer in a big tank and hopefully chemistry won't change as quickly as it could on a smaller tank. (Hopefully) It really is the folks at Fish Gallery's fault. I took my wife in to see the Red Sea Reefer tanks and she liked the big tank behind it more. So in a way, I'm just keeping her happy.

Now the hardest (not most challenging) part. I have the move scheduled for Jan 20. Time to WAIT and read, read, read. Oh, and set up a RO/DI system and mix a bunch of salt water. The challenging part comes when the tank is at my house and I become responsible for all the critters in the tank.

I started college as a marine biology major in Wilmington, NC then switched to geology half way through. I got my masters in geology at UT and worked on the precipitation of a calcium carbonate mineral in Mono Lake, CA. I can't wait to jump back into carbonate equilibria on a practical side. The thought of firing up a calcium reactor and monitoring pH in the reaction chamber as I add CO2 makes me really excited. On the bio side, I'm still learning what is in the tank. I know all the fish, but the corals are completely new to me. Right now I am going through the pictures of the tank and trying to ID all the corals and anemones. wish me luck!

Archived