Back in business - 110g shallow build

stephaniegarcia

I had die off and slight PO4 issues last time I used dry rock, it was the BRS pukani stuff, which is dry, mined, never been in a tank rock. I have no clue what's in this stuff, prehistoric PO4... It wasn't a terrible amount though. Without a heavy fish load, it wasn't enough to cause algae or other issues beyond the cycle that it kicked off on its own.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ah, ok. So you all use Phos-free (or similar - same thing just marketed under a name in the pool chemistry world.)

Every thing I have is from Marco rocks. Now, what I THOUGHT about doing (and I know there is almost a 50/50 split) is buy some maricultured rock to help get things going as well. I know nasties can come with it, but some of the stuff you get from it you also can't replicate. I am on the fence, but could be swayed either way. I have someone giving me enough Marinepure from a well established tank (that's good for 500+ gallons) which will help with cycling as well.

I'm willing to listen to first hand accounts from either side. I'm reading all I can on the internet, but from the horse's mouth means more to me than second or third hand accounts.

As for the doorknob tub - I think I can keep it fairly active via loaning it out, when I totally F S up and need to remove things from the tank to fix something etc. I'd like to be able to help people out in the reef community, so wondering if once every other month or something, I have a RO day and give it away to people who don't have their own systems. I dunno. Just a thought. I know the hobby is expensive, and I'm pretty thankful to be able to enjoy it. If I can take some of that cost off someone else who is trying to stay in on a budget, I'd like to do so.

I do both acid/baking soda and LaCl. Acid will break down the top layer of rock and expose the rock and clean the heck out of it. Just be cautious with acid, especially muratic. It's nasty stuff. Acid into water, not the other way around. Wear eye protection and don't inhale. After a few hours of the acid, add in baking soda to neutralize the acid.

Wash off the rocks and then add them to the SW. Run LaCl for a few weeks and you'll be ready to go. Toss in a bottle of bacteria and you'll be set.

I do both acid/baking soda and LaCl. Acid will break down the top layer of rock and expose the rock and clean the heck out of it. Just be cautious with acid, especially muratic. It's nasty stuff. Acid into water, not the other way around. Wear eye protection and don't inhale. After a few hours of the acid, add in baking soda to neutralize the acid.

Wash off the rocks and then add them to the SW. Run LaCl for a few weeks and you'll be ready to go. Toss in a bottle of bacteria and you'll be set.

Agreed with all this. But I only acid washed my rocks for 30 minutes.

are we talking about acid soaks before cycling rocks? *lol* 1/4-1/2g muriatic acid per about 15-30g tap water... 30-60 mins. be upwind from it, it will create a chlorine gas fume which is very bad if inhaled. and use gloves! (if its not bubbling up and looking gross after 10 mins, it needs more acid.) rinse off. do it again. rinse off. soak in tap for about an hour. dry it out a week. ready to cycle. those key tubs are great for this, but a 35g trashcan is good too.

On 14/01/2017 at 9:21 PM, stephaniegarcia said:

Ah, ok. So you all use Phos-free (or similar - same thing just marketed under a name in the pool chemistry world.)

Every thing I have is from Marco rocks. Now, what I THOUGHT about doing (and I know there is almost a 50/50 split) is buy some maricultured rock to help get things going as well. I know nasties can come with it, but some of the stuff you get from it you also can't replicate. I am on the fence, but could be swayed either way. I have someone giving me enough Marinepure from a well established tank (that's good for 500+ gallons) which will help with cycling as well.

I'm willing to listen to first hand accounts from either side. I'm reading all I can on the internet, but from the horse's mouth means more to me than second or third hand accounts.

As for the doorknob tub - I think I can keep it fairly active via loaning it out, when I totally F S up and need to remove things from the tank to fix something etc. I'd like to be able to help people out in the reef community, so wondering if once every other month or something, I have a RO day and give it away to people who don't have their own systems. I dunno. Just a thought. I know the hobby is expensive, and I'm pretty thankful to be able to enjoy it. If I can take some of that cost off someone else who is trying to stay in on a budget, I'd like to do so.

Get the maricultured rock! Whether you acid bathe or just cycle the rocks you have, there's still going to be nothing in terms of macroscopic life unless you add something, and speaking from experience, the treasures you get from maricultured rock are well worth the risk of any undesirables. I've had a few hitchhikers I did remove, namely a gorilla crab and an unexpected blenny that had an appetite for acans, but I also had scores of tunicates, sponges, tube corals,some encrusting sps, a tiny green shrimp (unidentified), a porcelain crab, some tiny mini-carpet-esque anemones, feather dusters galore, and beautiful macroalgaes. The rocks also came seeded with undesirable nuisance algaes, which briefly took off when I got rid of the blenny, but with the refugium I was running on that tank being 2/3 its size and a couple of added turbinarias, they soon lost their upper hand. Then a whole new crop of tiny stomatellas appeared, and suddenly the whole nuisance algae chapter of that Aquarium's life was over. And the best part--the stomatellas were hitchhikers too! 

7 hours ago, Peter Gott said:

Get the maricultured rock! Whether you acid bathe or just cycle the rocks you have, there's still going to be nothing in terms of macroscopic life unless you add something, and speaking from experience, the treasures you get from maricultured rock are well worth the risk of any undesirables. I've had a few hitchhikers I did remove, namely a gorilla crab and an unexpected blenny that had an appetite for acans, but I also had scores of tunicates, sponges, tube corals,some encrusting sps, a tiny green shrimp (unidentified), a porcelain crab, some tiny mini-carpet-esque anemones, feather dusters galore, and beautiful macroalgaes. The rocks also came seeded with undesirable nuisance algaes, which briefly took off when I got rid of the blenny, but with the refugium I was running on that tank being 2/3 its size and a couple of added turbinarias, they soon lost their upper hand. Then a whole new crop of tiny stomatellas appeared, and suddenly the whole nuisance algae chapter of that Aquarium's life was over. And the best part--the stomatellas were hitchhikers too! 

getting rock from someone else which is active is just asking for issues.  you dont know where its been, you dont know whats been in the system its been in, etc.  you cant exactly QT liverock.  you cant really dip it in iodine or bayer..  the whole reason some of us are super paranoid are because of the unknown.  we've seen whole systems crash, or annoying worms annoy.

nothing is "worth the risk of undesirables" IMHO.  your system is an investment.  if you start out w/ a problem, any money you put into it is wasted off the bat.  if you start off clean, and maintain it clean, its a better investment.

there are plenty reefers which will share/trade/sell sponge/dusters/anything... why risk it?

1 hour ago, Isaac said:

getting rock from someone else which is active is just asking for issues.  you dont know where its been, you dont know whats been in the system its been in, etc.  you cant exactly QT liverock.  you cant really dip it in iodine or bayer..  the whole reason some of us are super paranoid are because of the unknown.  we've seen whole systems crash, or annoying worms annoy.

nothing is "worth the risk of undesirables" IMHO.  your system is an investment.  if you start out w/ a problem, any money you put into it is wasted off the bat.  if you start off clean, and maintain it clean, its a better investment.

there are plenty reefers which will share/trade/sell sponge/dusters/anything... why risk it?

I think he's talking about the man made rock dumped in the ocean a while and then harvested/sold. That's the maricultured rock I was speaking to anyhow.

Nothing too big  to report. I picked up a big lot of equipment this past weekend in Houston. Look for a lot of it to be posted on the classifieds for low prices. Some lower end LEDs,, an mp10es that binds sometimes (tutorials on fixing online,) a drilled 40 breeder, lots and lots and lots of frag plugs and racks, etc. I'll be open to trades, just need to get it inventoried and posted. I bought it for the corals - which are currently still in Houston; and the mangroves - which I brought back. 

I also decided that driving to Houston, then running around all day and not trying to just take it easy on two hours of sleep was a great idea. I fell asleep at the wheel going 70 (cruise control on) Saturday night and drove into a guard rail. Extremely thankful I didn't hurt or hit any one else. It was the absolute dumbest thing I've done in a while. There was no need for me to be there that early. I wasn't picking up stuff until Sunday; and could have taken a nap or something. 

Truck is fixable, I am ok, but it was a serious lesson in what not to do. Had I hurt or killed someone I don't know what I'd have done with myself. It would have been absolutely devastating. It was early on in the evening, so families could definitely have been out with their kids. I thought I had the 45 minute drive home in me after stopping in to see a friend for a bit. Started nodding off there and was told I could just crash in the spare room. I said I had to go let my dogs out.  Long, dark stretch of road with no music on, nothing to see and I nodded off. Last thing I remember was shaking my head trying to stay awake, then woke up on impact. Sheriffs officers did me a favor by not ticketing me. 

I'm beating myself up about it, but also paying the stupid tax when this hits insurance. Two claims in a year. I'm heavily insured because of sue happy people, but even with a high deductible my rates went up 80/month after the last one (which wasn't really my fault but I had to make a claim to repair my truck so it counted against me.) I had also just purchased my kiddo (who THANKFULLY wasn't with me) a brand new car seat two weeks ago. I got to spend another $300 on one this week since I had to get rid of the last one  

The shop that towed me wanted my business so said they'd bring my truck to me when it was done in a couple weeks. That helps me out seeing as how the conditional approval to close came in today. Home ownership is about to be real. 

I'm officially a homeowner!!!  I have no couch (supposedly here early March,) no dining table (ready but I have to pick it up in Dallas and cannot get there until early March;) no mattress until Friday; and washer, dryer and fridge here tomorrow. 

Haven't moved in yet but I own my own home and I did it without any one else! 

Things didn't turn out as planned since my kiddo ran a fever all night. I worked from home, went to closing, then came back and worked from home more so she could stay here. I ended up falling asleep on a conference call. Good thing they send out notes at the end and I didn't have to talk! About to hit the hay now. Tomorrow night I get the doorknob trough setup, move the mangroves, kiddos indoor toys and all her clothes, plus the new TV over. Friday is more of the same. Saturday movers come for everything else. 

Sunday is another trip to Houston to grab corals. I also may have spent a small fortune on an ultra red haddoni. It's beautiful. I'm transferring the mangroves, marinepure (that has been established for years) and the one random green mushroom out of the tub they are in and in to the 40g breeder. I've got to rig up a radion somehow while waiting on the arms to get in. I think I can manage something. More pictures coming soon!! 

• 2 weeks later...

Long ish update in between unpacking, going nuts at the new job, kidlet, 2 dogs, etc. Love the house, love the neighbors. I picked a great neighborhood. 

Did the first water change on the 40B today. I'm doing water changes weekly as the intake for the HOB skimmer I have (it was in the lot I bought) doesn't drop down below where the bulkheads were drilled. I keep the water line lower than those, so unless I want to go buy additional PVC etc., this is how it will be.  I don't want to deal with overflows, returns etc. So low nutrient and water changes it is. The red haddoni (Big Red...original, I know) is doing fabulous. I'm obsessing over it's every move. Water parameters are great. I used the marinepure (that has been established) and bacteria Dennis from FJW sold me that cycles tanks in a short period of time (he uses it for going to shows with fish and corals.) Dennis also gave me some RO water because that's yet another thing that was set back. I had some salt water from the mangrove tub that I used to get things settled. I mixed more, waited 12 hours, then added more to the 40B. The bacteria did their job as did the Marinepure. I'm thoroughly impressed. 

Coral wise, I think I got some decently cool stuff. I have no idea what some of the zoas are, but I know for sure there are rastas (a decent amount) and PZ red hornets. The others I'll have to get pictures of and post for those who are better at ID-ing than I am. Also have what looks like an alien lepto, some super bright orange lepto(?) superman mushroom, two hairy mushrooms, two unidentified mushrooms, and a green mushroom that isn't a plain green mushroom, but too small to ID. They are all in a rubble basket being a-holes about attaching to stuff. I think the SPS I have is a green slimer. It looks super healthy, considering that my setup is super low key.

The 40B is a pretty ghetto setup but it will limp me along for a while. On one side is the 60w Maxspect Razor light, on the other is a 120w LED I received in the bulk lot I bought. Big Red is under that light along with some of the frag racks. I've got a small powerhead, a couple of rocks for big red to push against to bury his foot in the sand, 

I'm picking up my DT from Pham Saturday, and going "shopping" for more. He's going to hang on to whatever I purchase, since the 40 is a tad crowded with frag racks on one side and Big Red on the other. Pham is my crack dealer when it comes to corals. Our relationship started out by me seeing one frag I liked, then he would just start sending pictures. The next thing you know, I've bought more than what I set out to purchase LOL. Unfortunately, I've still got to get an electrician out to wire a dedicated circuit for the tank (this is a priority but  can get it going on the plug that's already there for now, then swap things when I have the other line run.

Right now, my weekends are tied up until mid-March so getting the big tank up is going to be a little more slow going than I had anticipated. 

Things to do (reef tank wise only:)

• Pick up tank in Round Rock (2/11)
  • Pick up sump in San Antonio (2/11? 2/12?)
  • Plumb tank
  • Dedicated circuit
  • RO/DI unit setup in laundry room and line run to garage in to tank.
  • Stand for RO/DI tanks
  • Make water
  • Wash sand
  • Cook rocks
  • aquascape rocks
  • Set up nano tank for kidlet

The good news is, I have everything I need to get it going. The bad news is, there are only 24 hours in a day, and that doesn't include unpacking boxes, installing kitchen cabinet hardware, unpacking, hanging pictures, etc.

Picture of big Red when he was at FJW attached. 

16299499_1741247049526694_5996101462516622131_n.jpg

It's (sort of) set. Putting tank in, styrofoam on the bottom slipped out the back 1". Buddy is coming over before my flight outta town to try and help me maneuver it back in to place. Sump and ATO built by Ace in San Antonio under the cabinet. Need to get new hinges for doors and vacuum out the bottom. 

Totally left the brand new T5 lights, the WXM I bought from Jen, and my step stool at Phams house. I also left there with my pocket lighter because I picked out some corals. They'll stay there until I get this thing going. 

As far as being close to a window - that's literally the only place it could go based on the house layout etc. it's a super cool tank. Better pictures next week. 

IMG_1604.JPG

Next up (at some point) is plumbing it, the leak test with water and vinegar for the baked on corraljne. Standing between me and plumbing the tank is just time  I'm off to San Francisco this weekend, hunting next weekend andnin between all that? Working, taking care of kiddo and dogs, unpacking. 

Enjoy the purple bean bag. That and a black one are the current couches until mine comes in early March  

Leak test (with water and vinegar)  while I go hunting over the weekend. T5's are on there. Calling electrician Monday to come install the dedicated circuit sometime next week, before I get water in the sump. I have not plumbed it  this was mainly to check the tank and to get the baked on coralline off. 

This may rival some in terms of how long it takes to get going

I grew up on a major coastline my entire life. It's probably why I love reef tanks. I miss the ocean. So not only did I get a tank, I bought a big *** fan (their haiku line) that reminds me of the water as well. 84" of fan was a lot of fun to install by myself. I wait for no one (especially at 9 at night when they are all asleep and I decide to do these things.) 

Next up: Couch here Monday! No more sitting around on bean bags! 

IMG_2341.JPG

IMG_2342.JPG

IMG_2343.JPG

IMG_2344.JPG

10 hours ago, jolt said:

Haha Stephanie, you will NEVER take as long on your build as I will on mine.  I take pride in my sloth ...

wait, you give us crap for ribbing you, then you rib yourself? *lol*  She's leaps and bounds ahead.. I see water in the tank!

Archived