Bean Animal or similar overflow help

Juiceman

So I have an option of installing the Reef Synergy 20" overflow or the Ghost overflow on my new tank.

My question is with these particular overflows, they would use bean animal or similar overflow systems.

Now, in order to have a full syphon, does the pipe in the sump have to be below the waterline?

My current sump would not allow me to do this, so I'd have to get a new sump or change my current one if I did... this why I ask.

Thanks ahead of time for your input.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes.

In reality all 3 pipes need to be an inch below the waterline. Or you won't start a siphon. The premise is that the open channel or emergency can go full siphon in the event of a failure. If you take this feature away you are affecting the reliability of the system.

To create a full siphon the pipe has to be an inch below the water line. If the pipe is above the water line then you'll have a durso. It will still drain, but it won't be a full siphon.

A BeanAnimal drainage system is designed to be quiet and safe. In normal operation the full siphon should handle 99% of your drain capacity and the second drain will pick up the 1%. If the main drain gets clogged, then the second drain will become the full siphon. If drains one and two get clogged then the emergency drain will keep the water from overflowing. If you don't have a full siphon, then you'll be running two durso plus an emergency. Many people run two durso drains and it should work fine, but it won't be quiet.

Archived