Apex Jr. not connecting to network

I have a used Apex Jr. and I'm trying to connect it to my network. I have the AT&T Uverse router, model# 5031NV, I've followed the directions on setting up the port forwarding that Neptune provides, also tried the info I found on this site. No go. I noticed that the port on the Apex only has the amber light on, the green light never comes on. I've tried 3 different cat5 cables, makes no difference. Since the green light never comes on, is it a bad port?

Thanks.

Tom B.

My Apex has the green led lit when I have it hard wired to my router via cat5. I can then just browse to it within my home network without going through the port forwarding setup. It is probably best to troubleshoot one thing at a time, so do you know the cat 5 cables are good (i.e., have you tried using them to connect something other than the Apex to your router?)

Are you able to look at a network map for your router? My router has a web page that I can use to see the map. When I look at the map my Apex shows up, and I can then type its ip address into a browser on my computer which is also connected to the router and it will bring up a web page for the apex

First off, can you access it locally on your home network, not the public IP address?

You should be able to see the private IP address in your network settings. Connect to that in a web browser. If it is set at anything but port 80, you will need to connect to the IP and the port, will look like http://MY_IP_ADDRESS:MY_PORT

If you cannot connect to it via the private IP address 192.168.1.XXX and port, use this tool: http://www.advanced-ip-scanner.com/ to see if the apex is actually on the network. If it is not, then something is incorrectly configured.

I'll just say from personal experience, and as a network administrator for the past 10 or so years, I would use the Apex fusion before messing with port forwarding. It's a significant security risk putting an apex on the open internet. As soon as you make something available to the public, you will have people trying to break into it. When I make a server or service available publicly, it's usually less than 10 minutes before someone is trying to port scan or break into it. Make sure to use a very strong password, like: OX2v^4LqyLjVS4*v and change the port to something other than port 80 or other common TCP or UDP port (Avoid using any of these: http://web.mit.edu/rhel-doc/4/RH-DOCS/rhel-sg-en-4/ch-ports.html), something random and as high as possible is a good practice.

So I just tried the "Advanced IP Scanner" program, and it doesn't see the APEX. I've rechecked all my settings and still no go. The green light on the Apex nic port does not come on, would this be the case if it was incorrectly configured? I was under the impression that I had to use the port forwarding feature cause I have the AT&T Uverse router.

Can you post the network configuration, specifically is it set for static or DHCP? You'll have to use the display which is tedious but an incorrectly configured IP address is usually the cause of connectivity issues.

I have looked in the Neptune forum and there was one post about the green light not coming on. I tried all the suggestions, tried to clean the pins, making sure they weren't bent, trying different ports on the router and different cables. All no go. If the port is bad, I guess my only option is to send it in for repair.

Hmm, and the apex is just plugged into your router with an ethernet cable correct?

If you're on windows, can you open a command prompt and post what the setting on your computer's connection are.

Assuming windows 7 or 10 here, use the search bar or cortana, type cmd. It should show you the command prompt, open that. Alternately, it's usually available under My computer / Start menu > all programs > accessories > command prompt.

Type "ipconfig /all" no quotes and hit enter and post what the output of the adapter you use to connect to the internet, I'm wired so my internet adapter name is: Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection. You can right click and use select all, then right click to copy the selected text.

I need from the Physical address and down. Here's mine just for example, I'd advise against posting the Physical Address publicly.

DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 10.0.0.106(Preferred)
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Tuesday, December 13, 2016 1:38:15 PM
Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Tuesday, December 20, 2016 12:47:29 PM
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 10.0.0.2
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 10.0.0.2
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 8.8.8.8
NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled

DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
IPv6 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 2602:30a:2cea:ddf0::3e8(Preferred)
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Tuesday, December 20, 2016 10:29:55 AM
Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Thursday, January 19, 2017 10:29:55 AM
IPv6 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 2602:30a:2cea:ddf0:544b:219:d6f8:ba8e(Pre
ferred)
Temporary IPv6 Address. . . . . . : 2602:30a:2cea:ddf0:6c23:713c:6de1:7dac(Pr
eferred)
Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::544b:219:d6f8:ba8e%10(Preferred)
IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.65(Preferred)
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Tuesday, December 20, 2016 10:29:36 AM
Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Wednesday, December 21, 2016 10:29:36 AM
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :192.168.1.254
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.254
DHCPv6 IAID . . . . . . . . . . . : 234889627
DHCPv6 Client DUID. . . . . . . . : 00-01-00-01-1A-CC-E1-76-00-21-9B-0D-86-37

DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.254
NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled

Well that's baffling...

Is it grabbing the same IP address dynamically DHCP as when you specify it manually? I would definitely leave it on DHCP just so it's picking up DNS and an IP directly from your router. May have to reboot it for that to take effect on the apex as well. Your router doesn't have any MAC address restriction or anything does it?

May want to try switching the port to 80 as well just until you can get it working properly. I know I did have problems on an older one of mine, it didn't like using any port but the standard internet port.

For MAC restriction, you wouldn't be able to connect anything to the internet through the router unless the MAC from that device is manually added to the router. You likely don't have that enabled otherwise you'd be logging into the router every time a new device tried to connect to the internet on your network. Normally called MAC ACL in a router's administration area, but I don't think that's your issue.

It's got to be a hardware issue. Even if it's not connecting you should be getting a flashing signal for the port on the router and a light on the ethernet port on the apex. Save your config and do a factory reset as jolt suggested. I would try another cable and another port on the router as well before doing it though.

So no ethernet port means what? No firmware updates. No access to Classic Dashboard or Fusion? Can't set it up for wireless either. All the control will be through the display, right?

Archived