24/7 (airquotes) reef livestream

AlexMorsePremium

I've been streaming my tank for a while. Just upgraded to a better camera that can handle HD for the most part. Still working on better software for it, and multiple angles, but it's been pretty reliable for a few weeks now and wanted to show off.

I'll be updating this thread with what the hardware/software is and what I'm changing as I do.

For now the stream is at https://www.youtube.com/alexmorse/live

It goes down briefly and occasionally gets stuttery/pixelated due to software issues, but has been getting more stable and maintaining a pretty high bitrate.

The negative side is you can see my hair algae.

I've gone through several iterations, and I'm sure I'll continue to figure out improvements.

The basic set up is some number of ip cameras (something that supports RTSP protocol) combined with a computer running Open Broadcaster Software https://obsproject.com/ The software is for all major platforms, but it's pretty buggy. Still, it does a good job and has way more capabilities than I'm using it for.

Initially I had an older iPhone that I never managed to craigslist, propped beside the tank, streaming straight to youtube (there's several free apps for that). That worked ok. I wasn't very happy with the view I could get so I started 3d printing some brackets to hold the phone at different angles on the side of the tank. That got me a better view, but the video quality was pretty lacking.

I added an android phone to the other side of the tank, this is when I found the OBS software, and it let me have both cameras going. I'd usually put one as a Picture in Picture style small view in the corner. Super cool, but the video quality was still pretty bad.

Most recently I bought an IP security cam (Hikvision DS-2CD2042WD-I), and have it wired directly to my PC. This thing is quite a bit bigger, so I have had to get more clever with mounting it, but it provides a wider angle of view, much higher quality.

qpIV6jd.jpg

I'm still experimenting with placement before I make some sort of "permanent" bracket.

The cam has an night mode with IR LEDs. I had to cut off part of the casing for it to sit relatively flush against the tank's glass to make that work. It's pretty eerie actually:

Archived