Algae taking over ID please. No its not Cyano

Kevin S.

It's hard to tell from the picture, but it looks like it may be two different kinds of cyano (green and purple). I'm not an expert at eradicating this. I would google cyano algae and see what various people have tried with it.

You are right, it is not cyano. The lobophora seems plausible, I've read about that in reef aquariums, and I've read tangs will eat it. The stragularia seems like it might not be tropical, and I have not seen people talking about it in reef aquariums, but not sure.

I had something similar come in from a vendor. It was a brown encrusting algae. It actually overtook the zoa it was on and started to spread on the frag rack. I was able to save the zoa but it had encrusted all the way up the stalk and almost to the head. I eradicated it out of the tank but it was fairly hard to get off. (There was less then an inch by inch square). I never figured out exactly what it was but I knew it had to get out. I scrapped it off the plug with a clay working tool and vinegar bathed the rack. Sorry I don't have any suggestions on how to get it out of your rock other then scrape.

Yes thank you, Lobophora is its common name and that is what I have. It thrives in low nutrient water and high flow. There are a few ways to get rid of it by using Urchins a Naso tang and Sally light foot crabs. I think Emerald crabs eat at it and some hermits. I dont want a Sally light foot, and a 125 is small for a Naso.

My plan is to get some Emerald crabs and beef up my CUC. Also adding some globe urchins would at least maintain it.

Thanks again,

Ty I would love to have a Naso, but I already have a large yellow tang and 2 regal tangs. I would think that would be too many in a 125g.

I have a tuxedo urchin but he does not seam to mess with it.

Archived