Parasite or Disease?

Sissy36

Uggg. It's one of those days. I came across this today. No idea what it could be be. I was wondering if one of the thin striped hermits is causing destruction. I've been watching them really close and so far they've behaved with the exception of eating some sponges. I touched it with the baster to see if it would respond and it did not. What's interesting is that my acan is expanded and had some polyps extended. It doesn't seem to be bothered. What is it??? Thanks for your help!

ae4b472b4e861a504f411889f4162fec.jpg5436523dad49117634081e55b08e19d7.jpgd6341b809a1426726e80ca7c5bc7c69c.jpg112e6e8dc6c29992d51bf645aac7df70.jpg

from me

Sorry for not getting back. Everything looks great. Well, except my birds nest won't fully open polyps and my rainbow may be bleaching. Do the polyps open on the white parts of the coral if it's bleaching? I'll put a pic below. I pulled the acan out to dip it and forgot about it in the jar. I put it back before I went to bed after getting off the white goop. I never dipped it. It looked fine the next day.

The Rainbow stylo: I did accidentally scrape it with the net recently. Is it just damaged from getting scraped? This is lights out with my phone flash. The tallest appendage is still really pink. And it's encrusting nicely. Also, what's the maroon fuzzy stuff on my birds nest plug? I'm thinking it may have something to do with it not opening polyps. Spaghetti worms?

087050456eaf6fe2148ddc5d821d0390.jpg

from me

Rainbow stylo appreciates much lower light than my purple stylo. In the range of 150 par to get the nice rainbow look. The green birdsnest looks fine to me from the pictures. The red stuff is red turf algae. I would recommend breaking the coral off the plug and glueing directly to the rock. Then remove the plug from your system unless you want to have red turf algae on your rocks.

I would always recommend removing corals from their plugs. They are the best sources of pests, both animal and algae pests.

• 2 weeks later...

Done and done :) sorry for the late reply, I've been wallowing in self pitty since I broke my foot and regardless of the fact I sit on my butt all day I won't engage in "social media" as a form of pouting. Saw Rouge One today and I'm feeling a bit better now. Love me some Star Wars

from me

Social media is the devil! I wonder how much more productive work would be without Facebook and Youtube! I'm amazed that they didn't block it years ago. My friend told me the other day that getting his kids tables was the worst mistake he made in 2016. Personally, I like my friends and family a lot more when I didn't know so much about them. noexpression.gif I hope your foot gets better soon.

Archived