3 things....

Sissy36

I came home last night and my nem was completely withdrawn into her rock. After further investigation I noticed these tentacles inside her rock near another opening. They looked like frog spawn or torch tentacles but I have neither in my tank. Plus there is no way it's either of those because it withdraws from the light. The tentacles are light bluish translucent with white tips and the thickness of a pencil led. After it disappeared from the entrance the nem came back out. Here's the best pictures I have 8349fd036112c548843118f93a88209a.jpg06d141d7fc6963dae83a81741d9ae9d4.jpg

In the morning I didn't see anything and my nem was happy. But thrse white things are all over my rock. Sponge? c09cb46f454b9b5bcb8cb4b320066d40.jpg2aedf05882f8156bc2b9954a529100f2.jpg That is also the hole the mystery tentacles were in.

I also have a lot of this bright red stuff growing all over the same rock. Lots inside and under. Bad picture. I had just treated for aiptasia so there is white oozie stuff everywhere.b4e73b843a5a19058a9c245b0a1eb710.jpgThanks everyone! I don't know what I'd do without you :)

Sent from Sissy's phone

Ty could be right about the hydroids, but to me the look more like the tentacles on a corallimorph, such as a ball-tip. They hitchhike on live rock pretty commonly. The middle ones are definitely sponges. Or at least if you're talking about what I think you are. There are definitely featherdusters in those pics as well, but the barrel-shaped white with the delicate fanning-out at the mouth is a sponge. The very last splash of deep red across the live rock looks like coralline algae to me, due to how flat it is, but I have seen sponges that color too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In the first two pictures I'm inclined to say cup coral, can you see a skeleton? There's also some thin thread branchy things that are most likely foraminiferins. Featherdusters and sponges and for the last picture I'm voting coraline algae also.

Sorry Tim. Blank reply. I do not see a skeleton. The rock is about the size of my girly fist so it's not that big in the first place. I'm absolutely baffled by the tentacles.

Sent from Sissy's phone

I was referring to the white barrel thing in the 2nd and 3rd pictures. But there are a lot of feather dusters as well.

As far as the last pic, the stuff is a solid deep red throughout and grows differently from the coraline algae in my tank. It looks smooth and like it may be soft or slimy. I was leaning toward sponge myself. But I am the newb :)

Ok Google, here I come...

Y'all just dropped lots of new words into my vocabulary!

Sent from Sissy's phone

Ok. Noah found one attached to the outside of the rock. These aren't good pictures either and this one is really small. Fully expanded still smaller than a dime. The last pic is with florescent light. It's the cup coral/ corallimorph. It's not orange tipped but the base is possibly orangish. e4094d97dfba602be4adb71ccfd5ca59.jpg91d7fcad87070f8150fe3cbf713e0c41.jpg024d02ccdfaafd74a94b88c2704a82d0.jpg731dd1da04716e82af66f0433c2fbf7c.jpg567a94aeb75aac3399ec3e0f24b010bb.jpg

Sent from Sissy's phone

That picture is of a small one but the one hiding in the rock is pretty big. Definitely more than an inch. I read they snag fish. It's on my anemone rock where my clowns host and I just put a flaming prawn goby in my tank. He's my jewl. I've read different ways that ppl try to get rid of them but none seem successful. Has anyone actually gotten rid of them?

Sent from Sissy's phone

Archived