Nitrates issues

tom2

What % of the total water volume are you changing? I think it's gonna take 3 or so huge water changes to make a difference. I saw a video years ago when I was having nitrate issues. I think it was by Melev. Changing the biggest portion of the water over 3(I think it was) water changes was the only way to get nitrate to a safe level. I'm sure the fish are stressed and their immune systems low due to the nitrate. Hence ick.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I did 20 gallons out of the 120 gallons

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah... that's not even 20%, you'll need to do like 50% so make a small dent... and probably have to do that a few times.

Are you dosing any bacteria? Zeobak, Microbacter? Etc?

Yeah... that's not even 20%, you'll need to do like 50% so make a small dent... and probably have to do that a few times.

Nope I haven't dosed anything

Might be a good idea. I dose Zeobak twice a week and dose it after Amy water change or fish addition

Percentage of nitrate reduction is equal to the percentage of water changed. If you change 25% of your water, your nitrates will be 25% lower.

Would it do anything to the tank if I did 60 gallon change?

Might be a good idea. I dose Zeobak twice a week and dose it after Amy water change or fish addition

What does zeobak do? Remove nitrate?

Percentage of nitrate reduction is equal to the percentage of water changed. If you change 25% of your water, your nitrates will be 25% lower.

Would it do anything to the tank if I did 60 gallon change?

In my opinion no. Only cut nitrate by 50%. In a water change that big I would very very carefully check and match water parameters. Especially temp and salinity.

Essentially. It's a bacteria in a bottle kinda thing. I've been doing it for years based on carbon dosing.

Essentially. It's a bacteria in a bottle kinda thing. I've been doing it for years based on carbon dosing.

Ok so I just added the bio pellet reactor added half the recommended doses and it says to add that weekly? Not sure what that means. Do I keep adding until the reactor is full or until I see the nitrates are down then remove I all?

Looks like the achilles probably won't make it unless I take him out and QT him, anyone live down south? That can help catch ;)

Dang. That's horrible. I am sorry to hear it. When are you gonna try to catch him?

I actually already caught all the fish and I am doing the TTMethod right now. The achilles was stressed last night and full of ick all over his eyes body looked like he was going to die but now has almost no ick and is recovering very fast, and surprisingly he was the one with the most ick the others barely had it or didn't have it at all, the hippo blue tang and the potters angel did not make it to the trip home but the rest made it!

Archived