Nitrates issues

tom2

Hey all! Having issues with my nitrates being at 75-100ppm not sure how it got that high with doing water changes every 2 weeks any idea how to get rid of it???! Or how I got it in the first place?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Something decomposing out of view/reach of you siphoning it out?

Anything that can trap detritus so that it doesn't get out with a water change or via skimmer could contribute. It's a little mysterious if you haven't seen levels this high before and it's a sudden spike. Any change to what/how much you're feeding?

It may be a skimmer issue because it's barely skimming I haven't changed that out in a couple months and I'm not sure what color the liquid is supposed to be

Or how high it's supposed to gather in a week or month in the cup.

I don't know that there is a correct answer to how much or what color your skimmate should be. This is what I'm emptying pretty much every day. This is on a 90 gallon that has no fish. It's only been set up 5 weeks and is still cycling. 31ad6d12aa989df8475d7dc4cacab43d.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Probably turn that up a bit.

Rule of thumb I've used is take off the collection cup, and tune the bubbles to where you're getting big ones popping right at the opening where the cup attaches (not overflowing) For me this gets me dark skimmate, that I need to empty once or twice a week on a 90 gallon with about 10 fish and moderate feeding.

Also, may be obvious, but that's not going to get rid of the nitrates already in your tank, just help slow down the build up. To get them out you need water changes, or something that will use them up.

How much live rock do you have? Any biopellets or marine pure type blocks? I'm starting a new tank and lots of things are different just since 5 years ago when I sold the old tank. Now it seems people are using minimal rock scapes and some other form of bacteria housing. Like biopellets or marine pure.

I use less rocks but have a couple of those marine pure cube rocks in the sump, cause they supposedly house more bacteria

I haven't really messed with biopellets yet. It should be pretty simple though. Put part of the recommended amount for your tank. You wanna start slow and work up. As to not shock the system. Then connect an input from a pump with a valve on it. Put the out put of the reactor next to your skimmer intake. Then adjust the valve till the pellets just tumble. Only enough too keep them from sticking together and clumping. I'd think you'd wanna get the skimmer dialed in first. As it needs to be working well for the pellets to not have a negative effect. Take all this with a grain of salt. It's just my understanding of how it works. I'm far from an expert though.

I haven't used them yet. I just set up my 90 gallon. I've been out since 2011. When I get around to putting them online I'll probably start with BRS pellets. Till I see a reason to use another brand.

What type of bio pellets do you guys use and where did you get it from?

I used BRS brand for a long time. I've had a lot of trouble with them clumping or floating... so I'm current drying dr tims. So far so good.

What type of bio pellets do you guys use and where did you get it from?

I used BRS brand for a long time. I've had a lot of trouble with them clumping or floating... so I'm current drying dr tims. So far so good.

If your using biopellets do you need to run Gfo? Or do u run both?

Ok I have done 2 water changes over the passed 3 days and the nitrate is still at the same spot any ideas?! Fish are still getting sick 1 by 1 not sure why there all getting ick

Archived