Tesla: Solar Roof

These are Tesla’s stunning new solar roof tiles for homes

Tesla founder and CEO Elon Musk wasn’t kidding when he said that the new Tesla solar roof product was better looking than an ordinary roof: the roofing replacement with solar energy gathering powers does indeed look great. It’s a far cry from the obvious and somewhat weird aftermarket panels you see applied to roofs after the fact today.

The solar roofing comes in four distinct styles that Tesla presented at the event, including “Textured Glass Tile,” “Slate Glass Tile,” “Tuscan Glass Tile, and “Smooth Glass Tile.” Each of these achieves a different aesthetic look, but all resembled fairly closely a current roofing material style. Each is also transparent to solar, but appears opaque when viewed from an angle.

https://techcrunch.com/2016/10/28/these-are-teslas-stunning-new-solar-roof-tiles-for-homes/

Not sure about the PEC (or other areas we don't currently serve) angle.

Not sure about who, exactly, will be doing the install. Currently, only SolarCity employees install our panels. However, we don't have to do any traditional roofing work, so how will that be handled? I know my neighbor is angling to be a preferred partner, but who knows if that is even going to be a thing? SCTY is very proud of being completely vertically integrated.

There are a ton of other questions as well:

What happens to north facing and obstructed areas? Are those simply tiled w/ non-solar tiles so that we aren't wasting more expensive tiles in areas that aren't going to get sunlight?

What does production look like vs the panels? We have 265W and 315W panels available now - do the tiles match that production w/ the same footprint?

Assuming the whole roof is tiled with solar shingles and not placebo/inert(?) shingles, and they do have similar production to current panels, are we just blowing those numbers up and producing 200%, 300%, 500% over usage, and what happens w/ that production?

What do they weigh and how many houses will they actually be able to go on?

I could go on. It's great for aesthetics, and it's an awesome technology concept, but details matter and today we don't know any of those. I'm pretty excited to see what comes of it down the road though, as they are saying we should be able to sell next summer... I take every announcement every corporation makes w/ a grain of salt though, especially the ones I represent.

Archived