Worm/slug?

Sissy36

I spotted this dude today on my rock. I can't tell if he's actually moving but he wasn't there this morning. And he definitely wasn't there yesterday because I took that rock out of the tank completely for about 12 hrs. He's about 5 cm long as is in the pic but his body is wrapped under the ledge of the rock just a bit. It's pointy at that end too. He's round on top and flat on the bottom like a slug. Please give me good news... d6b27d502772ec94b0e6eb0d77600803.jpg7124fec1debd8afcbd0092cebf3a0d67.jpg390b1e51a5f4c7f50172cdfef0e9f672.jpg

Sent from Sissy's phone

Large vermatiid snail, will usually stick out mucus strands to catch stuff in the water. Either that or a hardshell feather duster.

There is tons of stringy mucus all over the frag next to it in the direction the power head blows. My coral looks happy and I haven't been messing with it so I guess it's the snail. So what's that mean for my tank? Good or bad? It's kinda pretty

Sent from Sissy's phone

Ok, it's a dead man. I just read up on it. Suckers gotta die. I'll glue that buggers mouth shut asap! Thanks Ty! It looks like the pics on the web too

Sent from Sissy's phone

A little superglue over the opening should do it.

Whoa. I really have been gone too long. I don't remember vermetid snails being a confirmed pest when I left the hobby! What a shame...I always thought they looked cool. This confirms some things though!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They got a bad rap a couple years ago when someone published a picture of a coral completely coated by the slime threads which gave the fear mongers something to cry about. A heavy coating would have the ability of choking out a coral and qualify in my opinion of being to much a of a good thing which makes it bad, but in all my years I've never seen a coral bothered by either the large or small varieties. I have had the small ones puncture and break off in my fingers (they make a neat round cut sometimes) moving rock around but haven't figured out how to stop them from growing on the back/underside of rocks. hmm.png

I only have a couple years under my belt but have definetly seen my corals bothered by vermitids. I cut way back on food like reef chili and they went away all on their own. They love the broadcast feeding.

Archived