Cheato

KimP

Anyone need some cheato? I need to pull a bunch out but hate to throw away all the micro brittle stars, pods, and feather dusters. I never can pick them all out. I'm located far south.

I'm definitely interested. I need to seed a new tank! How far south is far? Lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey!! I haven't seen you on in forever! Far south as in south of Slaughter on 1st :)

I could use some as well. I would probably be more ready next time you trim. If it's not too long.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Okay, I almost always have some to trim, so just pm me whenever you're ready.

I'm definitely interested. I need to seed a new tank! How far south is far? Lol.

Hey!! I haven't seen you on in forever! Far south as in south of Slaughter on 1st :)
I'm baaaaack! Also I PMd you. [emoji75]

• 1 month later...

I'll take some? You ever in this neck of the woods?

No, I'm rarely ever north of 71

Ok... well, if anyone's heading north, maybe give it to them and I'll get it from them. Otherwise, I might be able to come sound during the day on Wednesday next week?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Forgive me asking this but I'm new to saltwater setups, what is cheato? I literally just put the salt in my tank today. I'm looking to build a nice coral tank. Any help in knowledge is greatly appreciated. Thanks

Cheato is a macro algae some people grow in their sumps because it uses nitrates and phosphates to grow and provides a nice home for beneficial things like micro brittle stars and pods. Then when you harvest the cheato you remove it and the nitrates and phosphates in it.

I'd like some Gigem and Kim.  I dunno if there are different varieties of chaeto but I finially have a good grow light for macro algae in my sump and I think I will have much better luck this time.

Off topic: last night I was looking in my sump at the rather decent sized bristle worms in there and witnessed one of them pick a feather duster's "tail" off the wall of the sump and start trying to swallow it.  I think it gave up because sand tubes probably don't taste good.  All the critters from the last ball of chaeto KimP gave me are still living in the rocks in the sump so there is quite a lot going on down there.  I recently had a lawnmower blenny die (I think from lack of algae to eat) and I put it down there in the sump.  It was gone the next morning so the clean up crew down there is definitely working.

Archived