Slime, Now Cloudy Water

Reefgardner

So as the title states, On Saturday I noticed some orange slime causing my filter sock to back up and overflow, even when I pulled the sock out it would not drain without a good squeeze. My return pump prefilter was also completely clogged with slime, and I had gunk built up in my reactor. I Pulled and cleaned all equipment with build up crap in vinegar/water solution. By Sunday morning my water turned very milky/cloudy. I know I need to get water parameters, which I will do when I get home tonight (just was crazy busy this weekend). Hoping with the images someone may be able to offer suggestions, of what it might be or maybe has had it. Thanks

75 Gallon w/15 gal sump, upgraded from a 30 gallon about 5 weeks ago

post-3869-0-59906700-1475509910_thumb.jp

post-3869-0-09180000-1475509938_thumb.jp

post-3869-0-18506600-1475509970_thumb.jp

post-3869-0-74234300-1475510016_thumb.jp

post-3869-0-33687600-1475510055_thumb.jp

The slimey stuff looks like dinoflagellates. The cloudy water may be something else though.

This can be anywhere from a pain to a complete nightmare to deal with if it is dinoflagellates.

How long has this tank been up and what's your maintenance routine on it?

My guess is one of the cyano that like clean water like Lungbia is what clogged your filter sock. The cloudy water could be from directly from cleaning or a secondary thing from removing a lot of the cyano all at once that's going to cause changes in how nutrients were being cycled.

i had what looked like red velvet or maroon stuff over take my 40 though id used to much purple up but i pulled almost all my rock in the 40 scrub all live rock an complete water change moving all live stock 1st basically restarting my 40 then started use of Algafix by API it is getting rid of the last bits still on the rock , i was to slow in my cleaning in a big tub of fresh s.water and lost some of the life on about 1/2 my rock ugh 40 is all cleaned up and 100 been fine

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

Normally I replace my filter socks every two days (3 when lazy) and 5 gallon water change weekly. Maroon Clown, Six Line Wrasse, Pink and Blue Damsel - all small. and a few small frags. I keep my feedings 2 to 3 days. Water has always been pristine, I tore this tank down 6 months ago due to lack of maintenance (hair algae, cyano, loss of fish - newbie) so I've been fairly consistent.

With that being said, this sock has only been in there for 3 days, however last week I was lazy and after washing my socks I did not put one back in for about a week. I have always seen a very small amount of slime (like 3 or 4 strands) in the return section my sump. I never paid it much mind - hindsight I probably should have. Could it have been in check due to the sock changes and I let it run wild for a week? Nothing else has changed no additions/no subtractions other than my sock routine.

Archived