Land Bristle Worms

jestep

So I've found 2 of these little b******s in our house this past week. We're about as friendly to all animals as anyone, but these truly put me over the edge. This was the smaller one and that's a 14"+ mixing bowl...

nasty-centipede.jpg

So far this year, we've got a handful of scorpions, several orb weaver and other large spiders, 5 coral snakes, a number of non coral snakes, countless frogs and toads, and 2 of these hell incarnate nightmares.

Oooo orb weavers are neat guys.

But yea I wouldnt be able to handle the hell incarnate nightmare bugs lol no thankyou. Do you live in Australia by chance? Lmao

Sent from my SM-J700P using Tapatalk

Seriously I'm starting to think so as well. But no, we're just in Oak Hill. This is the first year we've seen any large centipedes, but I have seen ones like these out at Lake Travis before. Coral snakes are really common this direction for some reason but have yet to see any other poisonous snakes.

Man, I've been on forums for a long time! Was able to find my post from 2006:

So last night I fell asleep right after dinner and woke up around 11:30. Crap - I knew my sleep schedule was going to be jacked up and was already a bit grouchy about that, but I moved myself from the couch to the bed and flipped on the tube. Around 3am I saw a little shadow moving across my lower chest...I blew it off and figured it was just the shadows from the tv. Saw it again a couple of seconds later and looked a little closer this time -as the tv went bright again I jumped my scared a$s out of the bed and ran into the kitchen to grab something to catch the intruder. Here he is:

img_3201b.jpg

Oh man, that reminds me of the centipedes in Hawaii. Those things rear up like scorpions and the sting is something awful.

In 2014 I had a pretty gnarly visitor in Pflugerville...

10671419_728389453876073_457966520757663

10353090_728389487209403_594213835524611

NNOPENOPENOPE

all aboard the nope train!

Ive heard of other PetSmart store employees finding black widows in their cricket bins. Worst I ever did battle with was a huge brown recluse. Good times

Sent from my SM-J700P using Tapatalk

Haha I wasn't even playing with that thing. I was nervous taking the picture! I got some wasp killer and soaked it. Later people were telling me to keep it as a pet. Maybe ten years ago, but what if my kid knocks the tank over trying to look inside?

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

My husband got stung on the nose and then on the ear by a scorpion, in bed, the same night.

To keep bugs away mop and clean with Lavender Fabuloso. Bugs hate lavender. Since we've been using it we don't see any scorpions and hardly any spiders. But the chickens probably help too.

[emoji213]

Sent from Sissy's phone

My husband got stung on the nose and then on the ear by a scorpion, in bed, the same night.

To keep bugs away mop and clean with Lavender Fabuloso. Bugs hate lavender. Since we've been using it we don't see any scorpions and hardly any spiders. But the chickens probably help too.

[emoji213]

Sent from Sissy's phone

I'll give that a try. We've been trying to figure something that isn't some scorched earth, destroy every bug on the property, solution.

My wife got stung in bed by a scorpion as well, her arm was numb for at least 2 or 3 days. Was not cool at all.

Boric acid is cheap and comes in power form, pet safe. You take it and put it all along your outside wall (you can use it inside as well). It's inexpensive, but you'll need to reapply after rain.

https://www.walmart.com/tp/boric-acid

* edit: caveat for pets

Generally considered a safe poison for control of insect pests and fungi, boric acidis commonly used in very small quantities in a household environment. But boric acid is a hazardous substance that can endanger pets if it's ingested or inhaled in significant amounts or over extended periods.

I've used boric acid to control scorpions in the desert while I was deployed. It only works on insects with an exoskeleton. You could use it for roaches, silver fish, ants, and bed bugs, but it won't work on spiders. It's a messy powder and bugs will avoid it indoors unless you mix it with all purpose flour and sugar. The sugar attracts the bugs, where they walk in the acid and the flour helps it stick to their bodies. It's not something that kills them where they stand and they will travel back to wherever they live carrying the poison. I wouldn't use it if I had a dog or where small children come into contact with it.

I like the Home Defense spray and Bug-B-Gone granules.

We use it with sugar to control fireants. Works great because they bring it back to the nest for a few days before it starts working on them.

I might try to figure out how to use it around our doors and garage. We've had enough problems with scorpions, it might be worth it. I've looked at using diatomaceous earth as well, but all of our entrances are cement so not sure if that would work.

Archived