Robots in Service of the Environment (RISE)

Sascha D.

The CEO of IROBOT developed a drone that can kill lion fish with an electric shock. Full article from CNN.

"Think of it as a video game," says RISE executive director John Rizzi.

"It will be a tethered device with a control mechanism that you drop into the water," he says. "You drive the ROV until you see the fish -- a lot of the technology is in the cameras -- then you drive the ROV onto the fish and press the trigger."

In tests, the lionfish have shown no fear when twin electrodes are lined up alongside them, ahead of administering the fatal shock. The fish is then sucked into the ROV and returned to the hunter.

People eat them. The docks on Mustang Island have signs with lionfish recipes on them. I've never eatten lionfish, but I read some restaurants are starting to serve it.

I'm guessing most people who buy a gadget like this are just looking to legally kill fish. I doubt the average buyer would have a boat, so it may only be effective near the shore. They are working on installing recognition software so you wouldn't be able to catch anything but lions. If it does take off, then I imagine you'll see a decline in lionfish population, as well as, minor damage to the reefs.

Archived