Lanthanum Chloride in a running tank?

FluxCapacitor

I was reading Jasreef's rock curing article a few moments ago. I used Lanthanum Chloride to cure my last set of rocks I cleaned but I considered, could this be used in a running tank to reduce the amount of phosphate in a tank? If so, what would be the proper amount to use? If no, sorry for being a clown.

Lanthanum is good for bringing really high P04 down. It's not so great at bringing low/medium levels down slowly.

Contrary to popular belief I have found most of my sps to be tolerant to alk swings within reason (0.5 dkh day or less) The most angry I have ever made them was stripping P04 too fast/effectively. I would stick to gfo in a running tank.

Yeah... I read up on it when I was curing my rock. Some people tried it as a drip system in their overflows..

In my experience it stripped the po4 from .95 to .04 in 1 day. I don't think that would be good with coral.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There is a product that Melevsreef recommends called Phosphate RX. He has a video on it. He makes it seem pretty harmless but be careful. I'm pretty sure it is Lanthanum Chloride.

Like Reburn said, BEWARE when using a product like this. I used it in the beginning and I am pretty sure that is what killed some coral I had. Unless you barely use LC it just brings it down way to fast.

To get a little better understanding of the role of phosphate in corals metabolism I would suggest this paper showing an imbalance of phosphate can make corals very sensitive to changes in temperature and lighting significantly increasing their susceptible to bleaching. For reference most reefs have between .05 and .21 mg/l PO4 with an average of .13 mg/l. In the above paper an internal level of .07 was sufficient to bleach corals.

I was adding around 3 drops to a plastic tub full of live rock. I wonder if doing something VERY conservative would be ok with LC. Like maybe one drop and wait a few days and see how it panned out for phosphate in a 50G total system.

I have 34G with a 20G sump that isn't all the way full. I suspect this is around 50'ish gallons total. Would one drop cause some crazy crap to happen in a water column this large?

I've done two 10G water changes in the past week and half to bring the phosphate down. I'm not trying to be dense here and not listen to advice but I would imagine that this chemical is VERY easy to overdo if you're just going willy nilly putting it in your water.

What are your thoughts on using one drop and waiting a week to measure again to see where it's at? I'm definitely not going to do this if the answer is a hard no from people.... but if it's a "you have to be very careful about applying this" I think I can be "very careful". :)

Archived