Jeeps Gone Reef On 300g Build

JasReef

Been a slow week with midterms and what not but Im slowly knocking of the list.

Built the popular brain station.

03f2fb2b81e7fcd08097b14a9d8d39a7.jpg

Started hooking things up

107ef025b9457967a26f9faa462397a3.jpg

I also am roughing out the AWC system. I went with the Genisis Renew basic with pumps. The plan is to do a 1 gallon change per day to start. No buckets no turning levers just a set and forget. Make 35g nsw per month and good to go.

also picked up frag racks from seth and met sascha. Both of them are good people in my book.

I needed to get on top of cleaning and this racks helped get that accomplished.

8936550e8c00be465ff526ac3d062de4.jpg

• Like 3

I'm working on the enclosure. I went with melemine shelf boarding. It has an easy to clean surface which I like. The bad is it is pressed wood which doesn't do great when wet but it was not expensive so we will see how it holds up.

I countersunk some magnets on the bottom piece to hold it against the steel stand.

12ac27c0d5d4f99047779cd96934baf3.jpg

I still need to do the side, that piece on the left isn't attached yet.

• Like 4

Only 299.8 gallons to go!

628d34741b434d5861e6f4e39331e7a4.jpg

That looks painful... Like watching water boil.

I like to think of it more like watching Michelangelo carve David out of a block of marble.

post-3873-0-20239500-1477849535.jpg

Unfortunately I am doing the aquascape so it will probably look more like a Jackson Pollock.

post-3873-0-55511000-1477849572_thumb.jp

• Like 3

I did my initial leak tests and I am happy to say that so far only 2 small leaks with 2 of the return bulkheads. I only hand tightened them, which is recommended. I prefer hand tight plus a little twist with these.

6d55a62c3297d08d8a4240a10a60dfe0.jpg

Just a little, not even a quarter turn. It is a small oil filter wrench.

Shot from top of overflow returns.

753fa7c483487e5231df1710ddd7a30f.jpg

A little under half full.

31a7bf34ce402c09b2adceb5f6709dca.jpg

TDS into d/i.

85e8371a6008dd4d239e81742deeea4e.jpg

TDS out of d/i.

3917b9c030b4bb922ca588491fc1d752.jpg

Edited by JasReef

Hows the aquascaping going?

Slow, the emarco 400 cement takes a long time to set. The first time i picked up a piece after an hour and it broke. I am just going to let them set until tommorow because a couple are pretty elaborate so I want them to hold.

I will post some pics in a day or 2.

I am definetly trying to go pretty minimal, I want lots of room for corals to grow.[emoji106]

• Like 3

Ok, I have most of the rock that's going into the display. This is not final placement, I think.

I plan on the branches being a monti garden.

c058643d735941db14f3ababf62a0203.jpg

7c8a085d17594e6e2f47414f3afbcafa.jpg

Bad reflection but with this one I drilled it and broke up my large flat pieces to make this.

2a830d586eca4aa64828c3c2bc36a2ba.jpg

80c8f413a298dd00de0e1fb81e9bfa95.jpg

This one looks like something from starwars.

00bf2340e2e2c3f1a73693cdf31abf7d.jpg

eb3a5de4e6a71931f35dcac93a1be4a0.jpg

I am trying for multiple islands and with as little rock touching the bottom as possible.

I also really dig the grey pvc bottom, looks much better than I thought it would.

No full tank shot yet. Soon.

I loved working with the emarco 400. It was easy to use I just found you need to let them set overnight before you move them. I am using pretty large heavy rocks so maybe that has something to do with it.

Let me tell you am a very impressed with the Gyre 280's and the new controller. Lots of options and easy to use. They are pretty quiet for such large pumps. I can hear the hum when they crank up to 100 but still not loud. Between those 2 and the 4 returns there aren't many dead spots i can see happening.

The sump is performing beautifully. Very smooth and with a couple of adjustments very quiet.

The AGE tank is looking great with water flowing through. Really built to perfection. I see many great years with this tank.

I started it all up right before taking the kids trick or treating. My wife stayed with the baby to hand out candy and told her if you hear anything that sounds like 400 gallons of water spilling on the floor call me, lol. Everything went fine, buckets of candy and water where it should be. I even slept pretty good without the new tank insomnia/jitters.

I feel like I stuck to my time line and plans pretty good and got the tank up in just over 3 weeks. Couple little things left to do and a massive cleanup and it will be back to normal.

Edited by JasReef
  • Like 3

[emoji76] Monti island!? Yes!!! [emoji119]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have to have the encusters and digitatas somewhere. I will make another rock with the monti caps. Two monti islands! This just turned dangerous. [emoji1]

[emoji76] Monti island!? Yes!!! [emoji119]

I have to have the encusters and digitatas somewhere. I will make another rock with the monti caps. Two monti islands! This just turned dangerous. [emoji1]

That my kind of danger, LWJ! I looooooove montis and I feel like they're often overshadowed by acros. I'm super stoked to see these islands! What are your plans for the other ones? I'm really curious about that complicated one with the ledges.

• Like 1

I think the rest will be acros. I'm trying to look ahead a couple of years and see which table, bush, and stag and find a placement where everyone is not crowded. I'm playing the long game.

The ledge one I was trying to build like a spiral staircase so everything would be able to grow without being shadowed. Maximizing space and keeping everything off the bottom. All those ledges are also drilled so frags can be put in them or water flow through. It will be mainly acros.

The idea of the islands is trying to replicate what I have seen on nat geo and bbc shows. It seems sometimes there will be a mound dominated by one specific coral and then some secondary corals fighting for space.

Edited by JasReef
  • Like 3