Fluval M90 (36gal) Build

HarleyGuy

Hi All,

I still have the 120gal glass cages tank, but it's taking a while to build since I've changed my design a few times :-). So in the mean time I built a 30 gal "QT" tank, but was told that live rock and sand in a QT is a not a good idea. :-) So I saw this Fluval M90 for up sale for $175 with stand and purchased it. It is a really nice rimless tank with an integrated sump (in the back of the tank) and a pretty nice stand.

This past sunday I put together the Fluval 36gal system and swapped everything out of the 30gal tank (animals, live rock, most of the water) and added a stack of corals that I purchased at C4. :-) The 30 gal tank will be setup as needed with a bare bottom as a QT.

The only issue with the Fluval M90 was that in the rear of the tank "sump area" there was no obvious place to put a filter pad or filter media except stacked on the bottom, which would make it tough to maintain. So in the first section where the water is skimmed out into the sump, I built a rack out of egg crate that is working really good. It has 3 sections: the top has filter sponge, next section has a Bag of Chemi Pure, the third section has a bag of Purigen and I can lift the entire rack straight out to clean or swap out media. The next section of the sump has the skimmer & 1 marine pure block, the next section has the heater and another marine pure block, and the last section is the return pump. I'm planning on adding an ATO tank in the stand - a 10 gal aquarium will work fine. If anyone has a 10 gal tank that they want to get rid of, let me know. :-)

Here is what I started with:

- Tank:

- Fluval M90 rimless 36 gal -w- built in integrated flow thru sump compartments in the back of the tank to house media, skimmer, heater, return pump.

- 1 x AI Prime LED light (will swap with a Chinese black box 165w LED)

- 2 x Hydor Koralia Powerheads - 1 x 850gph, 1 x 1150 GPH

- 20 pounds of Carib Sea Special Grade live sand

- 40 pounds of Fiji and Pukani live rock

- Sump Items:

- 1 x Lifeguard Quiet One return pump (317gph)

- 1 x Eshopps Hang On Back Protein Skimmer PSK-75H

- 2 x MarinePure Media Blocks 1"x8"x8"

- 1 x Fluval E 200-Watt Electronic Heater

- 1 bag x Chemipure Elite

- 1 bag x Seachem Purigen

- 1 x filter pad

- Additional Items:

- 1 x JBJ Automatic Top Off Water Level Controller

- 1 x Choice Aquatics 5gal ATO tank (would prefer to swap for a 10 gal aquarium if someone has one)

Here is a list of the fish, inverts, corals:

Fish/Inverts:

- 2 x fancy Ocelaris Clowns

- 5 x Blue/Green Chromis

- 1 x Pajama Cardinal

- 1 x 6 Line Wrasse

- 1 x Scarlet Cleaner Shrimp

- 2 x Peppermint Shrimp

- 4 x Turbo Snails

- 1 x Anemone Crab

- 1 x Emerald Crab

Corals:

A lot....:-)

- 2 x Hammer frags

- 4 x Torch frags

- 1 x GSP rock colony and GSP also added to back wall of tank

- 1 x Frogspawn

- 4 x birdsnest frags (Bird of Paradise, Electric Green x 2, Pink)

- 1 x large Neon green Candy Cane colony

- 2 x Zoa colonies

- 1 x Green Toadstool

- 1 x Duncan frag

- 1 x Red Goniopora frag

- 1 x Alveopra Frag

- 1 x Blue Digitata Frag

Here are some pics, let me know what you think. This is my first attempt at a reef tank:

post-4372-0-62857000-1472510908_thumb.jp

post-4372-0-03862200-1472510922_thumb.jp

Looks great. I see a Texas I'm assuming you got at c4. That's fun

Thanks! Yup, I did. smile.png I have GSP on it and it's stuck in a hole in the pukani so that I can pull it off to give the GSP a hair cut from time to time so that it doesn't spread. smile.png

A few highlights : a Duncan that is shooting new heads, purple stylo, multi torches and hammers, a nice frogspawn that is splitting, some nice birds nest, a few Zoa colonies, and of course some GSP. :-) I also built the 30gal into a QT. Let me know what you think. So far.

Wow will i ever get my tank to look that nice , i hope still hoping to have a tank to look at all night when meds aren't doing the job. Ill get there

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

Thanks! This is just my "bedroom reef" 36gal. My 120gal in the living room is still in work. :-)

I would recommend pulling the GSP....just saying

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G928A using Tapatalk

I'm keeping it on an isolated rock and it is on the back wall to hopefully spread there at some point. I will keep the lawn mowed...lol

• 4 months later...

Hi All,

I'm back up and going again after my motorcycle wreck. On 11/15 a cart pulled out in front of me, stopped and blocked both lanes, and I had no place to go but down. I ended up flipping into the air and bouncing down the pavement at 50mph. This resulted in 11 broken bones and some pretty bad road rash. Broken foot, ankle, 4 broken ribs, finger, severed wrist (multiple wrist bones crushed). The bike was totaled. The people who pulled out in front me and caused the wreck, fled the scene and left me there (a bloody mess). After some hospital time, surgery to rebuild my wrist, and a couple months off work, I'm on the mend finally but all my reef projects are on hold.

All that said, my 36 gal Fluval M90 is in rough shape. The fish are ok, the soft and most of the LPS corals are still living, but I've got a massive hair algae outbreak (I'll send picks later.). I've been able to clean filters and keep the water level topped off, but water changes are not possible for me at the moment as 1 arm/wrist/hand is not in service yet.

Any recommendations for getting rid of the hair algae and get the tank back in shape before I loose anymore coral?..

thanks,

John

Wow, hated reading this. I can't believe they fled the scene.

Some people have been trying a product called Vibrant cleaner to help with the hair algae. Maybe some of them would speak up and let us know their experiences with it if they read this ...

Yes, I was surprised myself! Vibrant huh? I looked at the website, it sounds interesting. I like the bacteria based solution. Makes sense. I guess I'll give it a try unless someone on here has a negative experience with it.

thanks,

John

Wow, hated reading this. I can't believe they fled the scene.

Some people have been trying a product called Vibrant cleaner to help with the hair algae. Maybe some of them would speak up and let us know their experiences with it if they read this ...

This stuff looks like it could be good. I looked at their website, watched a few youtube videos and read the reef2reef forum and for the most part it seemed to work.

Will do. I'll take some before and after pics as well.

If it works good I may use it in my big tank when I get it built.

I'm going to start a new thread on here to track it. If you want you can tag along that thread with your results and pics

Archived