Biota - Complete setup including livestock?

Dan H

So I was browsing the book of faces and an ad for this showed up on my feed: https://comingsoon-tech.com/biota-saltwater-aquarium#

I'll admit I'm skeptical, but I'll also admit that it's a fascinating idea. Basically use a proven setup with the same livestock loads, setup, rinse, repeat. I'm curious if they will have much success. Certainly it would seem like a reasonable option for someone who just wants a simple setup. I'm also curious how much they're going to charge. I'm guessing it won't be cheap.

So I was browsing the book of faces and an ad for this showed up on my feed: https://comingsoon-tech.com/biota-saltwater-aquarium#

I'll admit I'm skeptical, but I'll also admit that it's a fascinating idea. Basically use a proven setup with the same livestock loads, setup, rinse, repeat. I'm curious if they will have much success. Certainly it would seem like a reasonable option for someone who just wants a simple setup. I'm also curious how much they're going to charge. I'm guessing it won't be cheap.

It will be interesting to see, but variables such as placement in the home (next to windows? a/c vents?), feeding habits, water change and maintenance, and the inevitable introduction of livestock will quickly cause deviations.

I've had conversations with several of our LFS about selling such "pre-packaged" setups before. The response is generally that people might take the base system, but one of the big lures of the hobby is that you can customize it to exactly what you want.

While it's true that many of us that are really really into the hobby love the customization / DIY / tinker aspect of the hobby, there is certainly a large market for those that just want a simple system without having to tinker / research. Look at how large the aquarium maintenance business is! Arguably this would appeal to those that either cannot afford a maintenance service, or don't want a maintenance service, but still want a tank.

I'm willing to bet that if this is a success, it won't be long until some of the big name companies start offering this, or maybe just buy Biota up. Hmm... I wonder if they're looking for investors. ;)

I think a packaged system w/ a subscription based maint/livestock system seems like a better idea than this. Imagine, you purchase a 300 gal at RCA, and it comes w/ $150 store credit for livestock, plus a box of salt. you get a complimentary setup service, and one free maint checkup. after that, you subscribe to a plan w/ maint visits and livestock credits. I'm essentially describing a full service aquarium company that already exists, but a "light" version

Archived