Lets see your saltwater Mixing station Setup

devildog1986

51f8fcd4103e8648c40628d725a56b3e.jpg

I built this for a "client" of mine. Right side is Ro, left is salt..

With a turn of valves your mixing water and or pumping it to your tank.

1654850830b6e32e88416814a904c4ca.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What size are these? I just ordered a 40 gallon container like this would love a second.

They are 65 gallon. They carry a lot of stuff at tractor supply co

Are you using a regular water hose for the setup? Don't they have chemicals that prevent them from seizing when freezing temps happen?

I think you are overkilling your requirements... you could easily mix salt in the ro/di barrel in an emergency. If you store this much water, you will have to turn it over that much quicker. You dont want mixed salt in the barrel for too long, especially outside in higher heats. Same with the ro/di... that water is BEGGING to draw anything in as its ionicly imbalanced by its nature.

take for example my setup.. 55-58g salt, 55-58g ro/di. My water change is 30g, my topoff is about 10g (for the whole week). so my salt and ro/di barrels turn over every 2 water changes. I have about 200g water in my system, so i have 50% change possible in emergency. My ro/di can refill the tank in 6-8hrs. I dont think i'd ever do two 50% changes w/in 6-8hrs of each other.

Your profile has your tank at 125g (minus liverock volume), 2 barrels is ~100% in emergency. non-emergency turnover is about 3-4 water changes on the salt barrel, assuming 15-20g changes. Even 2 barrels is overkill for you using these numbers. (sorry, engineer by nature, run your numbers)

Also, if you are going outdoor, you should insulate the tanks and all plumbing.. would keep it cooler in the summer, and not freeze in the winter's 2-3 weeks that it might. When stacking containers, factor in the water-weight... many containers are not meant to be stacked when full. Typical seawater weight 8.6lbs/gal... mixed salt might be slightly higher as its enriched. A brute trashcan lid cant hold another brute on top of it safely when filled. fresh water is 8.36lbs/gal.. probably minus a tiny bit if its ro/di.

Sorry for the late response. The wife also wants me to set up a 190 gallon Bowfront. That's why I was considering doing 4 55 gallon brute containers. I was trying to sell it or trade it. But she wants a fish only aquarium. So happy wife happy life. I'm just not gonna rush setting up the fish only aquarium. But it'll probably still be overkill. I might go with two norwesco 100 gallon containers. Stack them and call it a day lol. I hope I don't ever come into the misfortune of both aquariums needing 90% water changes lol. Thank you for the input. It makes logical sense that it's way too much for a 125.

Are you using a regular water hose for the setup? Don't they have chemicals that prevent them from seizing when freezing temps happen?

The hose is only attached to move water back into the tank during a water change. I've never had an issue using them. I do cut the metal ends off and put plastics ends to be safe.

The hose is only attached to move water back into the tank during a water change. I've never had an issue using them. I do cut the metal ends off and put plastics ends to be safe.

Interesting! Thanks. That might be 1 option.

• 2 weeks later...

Devildog - if you're worried about something eating through the thin 1/4" lines you could run them through flexible metal conduit or make a pvc casing for them so that they aren't so easy to get to for animals that don't know what food is supposed to consist of.

Devildog - if you're worried about something eating through the thin 1/4" lines you could run them through flexible metal conduit or make a pvc casing for them so that they aren't so easy to get to for animals that don't know what food is supposed to consist of.

Thanks! Once they deliver the hose I chose to go with and I finish setting it up I'll post some pics. I just copied another guys set up online. I can't take credit for the setup. Just the build. Thanks for the advice. I was mainly concerned that the hose had chemicals that the Ro/Di water would soak up.

Lol, you were talking about running a direct line to my auto top off lol! I thought you meant the water hose. I'm just trying to be cautious. The only way to run it would be through my attic. Im afraid of a critter chewing on the hose. How would I invade the hose running down the wall though? Thanks for the advice!

What do you mean invade? I'm not sure I understand your question.

I was saying something like a 1/2" pvc with elbows that runs through the attic should be sufficient to protect the small water line from rodents and such. I dunno if they will eat pvc but it definitely will give them a good snack to get through before getting to your actual water line inside it. You also could consider some sort of pressure sensor in the line so that you could receive an alarm if the pump is on and there's no pressure in the line (indicating a leak situation).

I think flux is saying, you need to use a conduit of some sort to protect the lines. schedule 40 pvc, flex metal, watertight electrical pvc, pex, etc. it would act as a barrier to pests, as well as contain leaks if you line busts. (theres 1/4 line thats rated for higher pressures that work well in attics)

I think flux is saying, you need to use a conduit of some sort to protect the lines. schedule 40 pvc, flex metal, watertight electrical pvc, pex, etc. it would act as a barrier to pests, as well as contain leaks if you line busts. (theres 1/4 line thats rated for higher pressures that work well in attics)

Awesome. Sounds like pex would be the way to go. It's already flexible tubing.

slightly more expensive when you factor in the joints. i'd go w/ electrical grey sch40 pvc w/ long radius 90's. cheap, glue, watertight. Also easier to feed through walls as "chases"

slightly more expensive when you factor in the joints. i'd go w/ electrical grey sch40 pvc w/ long radius 90's. cheap, glue, watertight. Also easier to feed through walls as "chases"

And just feed the 1/4 inch tubing inside of the electrical grey right? Any suggestions of where I can get the heavy duty 1/4 in. Tubing?

http://amzn.to/2cgu0q8

they have diff colors, yellow was cheapest the day i got it. I'd measure the length you need, and get like 10% more. you want to aim for no couplings. feed the 1/4" inside the pvc, arrange where you want things, then glue it. this will make feeding it longer distances easier.

(I have an ATO in my office keurig.. because of course)

http://amzn.to/2cgu0q8

they have diff colors, yellow was cheapest the day i got it. I'd measure the length you need, and get like 10% more. you want to aim for no couplings. feed the 1/4" inside the pvc, arrange where you want things, then glue it. this sill make feeding it longer distances easier.

Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

Well guys I've been trying to get used to my new daily routine. So I haven't posted an update. Here's the mixing station. I'm just waiting for the water hoses to come in. It will have a direct hose for saltwater and another for Ro/Di water for my auto top off. I installed an external water pump to mix the salt, and pump the water to the aquarium. The Ro/Di will be gravity fed to the auto top off. I will be setting up a timer so it comes on every 3 hours. 4712b7ded1b7aa88ff518bfff76498ac.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Here's a few pictures of mine. This was Richard L's before he got his institution worthy conical bottom setup.

Top is for RO/DI and bottom is mixing tank. I can recirc the mixing tank, or pump it back up to the upper tank if needed. Bottom valve attaches to a 50ft python hose so I can fill DT or I can drain or flush the tanks into my yard.

RO/DI is a 200gpd aquatic life powered unit that I got on clearance a few years back. Really cool system, has dual membranes, drop in cartridges, and a built in controller with booster pump so it handles flushing on its own. With my pressure I can probably get more like 300 gpd with it. Way overkill but still haven't needed to replace the membranes in about 4 years, and have only gone through 1 DI resin change. Not currently in use, but I had a separate line coming off before the DI that we were using for drinking water and our ice maker.

20161001_102359%20(Medium).jpg

20161001_102311%20(Medium).jpg

Archived