Lets see your saltwater Mixing station Setup

devildog1986

Hey guys,

Well, now that I live in a house instead of an apartment. I can setup a saltwater mix station. Ive never installed one. If you guys have some nice setups, please feel free to post pics of them. If you can, please break down your set want to end up building a 4 container setup. Sounds like overkill, but just preparing for a "worst case scenario" situation. Thanks guys!

On the subject.... is it ok to store your water outside in a container that is closed? The heat/sun won't degrade anything will it if the container is closed right? I ask because I want to do this same thing but my garage is for car stuff. :D

post-1733-0-94082300-1470255656_thumb.jp

RO/DI on top. magnetic float sensors control a 24v valve. A timer only allows this valve to open friday night (large amount once a week, vs topping off all the time and causing tds creep and eating more DI resin).

Bottom has an old skimmer pump aerating the water, and a powerhead on the side for additional flow.

Top off sensor in sump opens/closes a 12v circuit to a osmolator pump in the ro/di barrel. 24v valve on that line as well for a safety. both those powered by a timer, runs 15m every 4hrs.

On the subject.... is it ok to store your water outside in a container that is closed? The heat/sun won't degrade anything will it if the container is closed right? I ask because I want to do this same thing but my garage is for car stuff. biggrin.png

depends on the container. heat is known to increase leaching of many materials. The UV from the sun may also degrade many plastics. Also, you dont want your water too hot which would increase the chances of bacteria and algae to bloom.

On the subject.... is it ok to store your water outside in a container that is closed? The heat/sun won't degrade anything will it if the container is closed right? I ask because I want to do this same thing but my garage is for car stuff. biggrin.png

I read that as long as it is not in direct sunlight, and it is a dark container it should be fine. However, The RO/DI unit needs to be in a location where it does not get over 100 degrees or your membrane will get messed up. I hope it helps.

What volume of water are you looking to make?

I am looking to Make a stand to fit two Norwesco 65 gallon upright containers that will only have RO/DI in them. I will also have two 55 Gallon Brute trashcans that will have my saltwater. one of the brutes will be in place at all times with emergency saltwater mixed. It will sit on top of a mobile 55 gallon brute container that I will use for my water changes. I figured, worst case scenario I can sell the RO/DI water to pay for my filters, but if i ever need to make a 100% water change, I will have a backup plan. I am only going to install heaters in the brutes and a recirculating pump.

attachicon.gif20160803_150846 (Medium).jpg

RO/DI on top. magnetic float sensors control a 24v valve. A timer only allows this valve to open friday night (large amount once a week, vs topping off all the time and causing tds creep and eating more DI resin).

Bottom has an old skimmer pump aerating the water, and a powerhead on the side for additional flow.

Top off sensor in sump opens/closes a 12v circuit to a osmolator pump in the ro/di barrel. 24v valve on that line as well for a safety. both those powered by a timer, runs 15m every 4hrs.

Awesome man, .Thanks!

I think you are overkilling your requirements... you could easily mix salt in the ro/di barrel in an emergency. If you store this much water, you will have to turn it over that much quicker. You dont want mixed salt in the barrel for too long, especially outside in higher heats. Same with the ro/di... that water is BEGGING to draw anything in as its ionicly imbalanced by its nature.

take for example my setup.. 55-58g salt, 55-58g ro/di. My water change is 30g, my topoff is about 10g (for the whole week). so my salt and ro/di barrels turn over every 2 water changes. I have about 200g water in my system, so i have 50% change possible in emergency. My ro/di can refill the tank in 6-8hrs. I dont think i'd ever do two 50% changes w/in 6-8hrs of each other.

Your profile has your tank at 125g (minus liverock volume), 2 barrels is ~100% in emergency. non-emergency turnover is about 3-4 water changes on the salt barrel, assuming 15-20g changes. Even 2 barrels is overkill for you using these numbers. (sorry, engineer by nature, run your numbers)

Also, if you are going outdoor, you should insulate the tanks and all plumbing.. would keep it cooler in the summer, and not freeze in the winter's 2-3 weeks that it might. When stacking containers, factor in the water-weight... many containers are not meant to be stacked when full. Typical seawater weight 8.6lbs/gal... mixed salt might be slightly higher as its enriched. A brute trashcan lid cant hold another brute on top of it safely when filled. fresh water is 8.36lbs/gal.. probably minus a tiny bit if its ro/di.

It's kinda a mess but here's mine. 55 gallon saltwater container, 150gpd RODI with softner pre-filter, and a rats nest of hoses.

The RODI is set up with solenoids to auto purge for 5 minutes then run 1 hour every night to keep the top off topped off.

There are 2 hoses that run through the wall outside the house, under the deck, then back through the wall into the stand 30 feet away. 1 is for the RODI, and the other is for water changes. So no hauling buckets!

cff079b0e7aafdf8c12dc8ba08b1eb99.jpg

It's kinda a mess but here's mine. 55 gallon saltwater container, 150gpd RODI with softner pre-filter, and a rats nest of hoses.

The RODI is set up with solenoids to auto purge for 5 minutes then run 1 hour every night to keep the top off topped off.

There are 2 hoses that run through the wall outside the house, under the deck, then back through the wall into the stand 30 feet away. 1 is for the RODI, and the other is for water changes. So no hauling buckets!

The large container has the saltwater, the bucket has 4ish gallons of RODI freshwater and you have a splitter on the RODI filter output?

The bucket has purge water. I can use that to fill RODI water if necessary, but normally I use it when I manually flush the RO.

The actual RODI water goes directly to my top off container in the stand. So the RO output actually has 3 y-splits, so there are 4 total endpoints for the RODI water - The red bucket, the white saltwater container, the top off container in the stand, and the sink drain to dump the first 5 minutes of purge water.

I have the waste water running through a y as well so I can either dump it into the sink (like when it's freezing out) or the other one runs to the outside and I put it in my garden.

I'll post a closeup in a sec from my phone.

Top off container in the stand

a9e1908f97c6023d679bb45eaffd98f8.jpg

Rats nest

64c52c492b2f0a789b9e06834f2d8304.jpg

Input lines with solenoids - 1 for purge, 1 for top off

3b368edb367aa311932c684c43043e96.jpg

Output lines - 1 for the top off container, 1 for waste water to the garden, 1 for waste water and purge washer to the sink drain - and the source water line.

6cb2969ce0fe82408fb2c3f70b6aa94f.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

What kind of hose should I use if im trying to avoid using Pond tubing or regular clear hosing? is there one that you guys have experience with, which wont be a pain to roll up and kink on you? any suggestions would be great. thanks

what distance did you have to run your 1/4 inch tubing? I am considering doing the same. but it would have to be run through the attic.

Top off container in the stand
a9e1908f97c6023d679bb45eaffd98f8.jpg

Rats nest
64c52c492b2f0a789b9e06834f2d8304.jpg

Input lines with solenoids - 1 for purge, 1 for top off
3b368edb367aa311932c684c43043e96.jpg

Output lines - 1 for the top off container, 1 for waste water to the garden, 1 for waste water and purge washer to the sink drain - and the source water line.
6cb2969ce0fe82408fb2c3f70b6aa94f.jpg

Salt barrel in the laundry room. All lines run to the tanks up the wall and through the attic. All the lines are 3/8". I don't worry about leaks as I don't have any splices in the attics and I am very diligent about keeping varmits at bay.

post-3632-0-21601600-1471748610_thumb.jp

post-3632-0-01031200-1471748633_thumb.jp

RODI in the garage all the lines are 1/4" but the transfer between the barrels is 3/8"

post-3632-0-32316300-1471748694_thumb.jp

Salt barrel in the laundry room. All lines run to the tanks up the wall and through the attic. All the lines are 3/8". I don't worry about leaks as I don't have any splices in the attics and I am very diligent about keeping varmits at bay.

attachicon.gifimage.jpeg

attachicon.gifimage.jpeg

RODI in the garage all the lines are 1/4" but the transfer between the barrels is 3/8"

attachicon.gifimage.jpeg

That's a nice setup. Varmints are what worry me. But I guess you can't have your cake and eat it too. Thanks for the feedback.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mine run outside the house under my deck so it's not a problem if it leaks.

I see. I'll probably just run it. I'm gonna have to measure the distance. And make sure I order one long solid piece.

51f8fcd4103e8648c40628d725a56b3e.jpg

I built this for a "client" of mine. Right side is Ro, left is salt..

With a turn of valves your mixing water and or pumping it to your tank.

1654850830b6e32e88416814a904c4ca.jpg

What size are these? I just ordered a 40 gallon container like this would love a second.

Archived