Joining the club

Reefpuck

Hey all,

Wanted to stop by and introduce myself as a newcomer to this forum as well as to the greater Austin area. My wife, 2 little girls and I decided to make a life-style change and get out of southern california. So far we love everything about Texas...except maybe the heat. cool.png

A quick background on my experience, I had several small reef tanks, followed by a 120g reef tank about 8 years ago (back in my days working at Marine Depot). Since then, marriage, career, mortgage, bills, kids, etc has kept me out of the hobby. But now that we are about ready to move into our new home in Georgetown in a few weeks, I'm itching at getting started again.

Anyways hope to meet some of you fellow reefers along the way. Although I feel like I used to be a well-versed reefer, I've forgotten so much and feel like a lot has changed...so this will be a fun challenge again.

If anyone has any pointers as to where good LFS are in the northern Austin area (or honestly anywhere in the Austin area), it would be much appreciated! I plan on posting a tank journal thread as well once I decide what size tank I'm going with.

Thanks all!

Josh

Welcome! Rivercity aquatics! Is my personal favorite! There off anderson mill and 183, theres also just reefs and aquadome but those 2 are down south

Welcome!

Here's a map to our local fish stores (needs to be updated as Fishy Business is no longer operating).

Be sure to watch our meeting schedule, and if you haven't already you should RSVP for our annual reef conference coming up on August 27th. It's called the Capital City Coral Corral and it's free to attend. We focus on making it family friendly, with events for the kids and food trucks to make sure that everyone can focus on the lecture topics rather than their grumbling bellies. :)

Welcome to the area glad you are getting back into the hobby

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks!

Welcome! Rivercity aquatics! Is my personal favorite! There off anderson mill and 183, theres also just reefs and aquadome but those 2 are down south

Thanks! I will check it out. I'm definitely willing to travel to find the best place...especially when it comes to corals/live stock.

Welcome!

Here's a map to our local fish stores (needs to be updated as Fishy Business is no longer operating).

Be sure to watch our meeting schedule, and if you haven't already you should RSVP for our annual reef conference coming up on August 27th. It's called the Capital City Coral Corral and it's free to attend. We focus on making it family friendly, with events for the kids and food trucks to make sure that everyone can focus on the lecture topics rather than their grumbling bellies. smile.png

Thanks! Very helpful, will check it out.

I will definitely try to make it out! With the move and everything coming up in a few weeks, I'm guessing August might be chaotic at best though trying to get settled in. hmm.png

Welcome!

Thanks!

Welcome to the club...seems like there's been more and more people on the north side joining lately! wave.gif

Thanks! Good to hear...glad to see what seems to be a growing reefer base out here in the Austin area.

Happy Georgetownian welcome! I love this area, we out by the Lake. I don't have much to offer ( I am a super newbie) other than these guys are super helpful.... OH and River City rocks!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Welcome to the club. Like others have mentioned, River City Aquatics is a great store up north. They have a first Friday after hours sale during the first Friday of every month. August 5th is the next one, it's a great time to come and mingle and get some great deals. It kind of acts as a small reef club meeting for us northies.

Happy Georgetownian welcome! I love this area, we out by the Lake. I don't have much to offer ( I am a super newbie) other than these guys are super helpful.... OH and River City rocks!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Haha thanks! I will definitely check them out. That's the nice thing about these forums though...infinite amount of knowledge at your fingertips.

welcome! open up a store for us in gtown smile.png

Thanks! Would love to...if you want to fund the startup. :P

Welcome to the club. Like others have mentioned, River City Aquatics is a great store up north. They have a first Friday after hours sale during the first Friday of every month. August 5th is the next one, it's a great time to come and mingle and get some great deals. It kind of acts as a small reef club meeting for us northies.

Thanks! I'm all about sales in this hobby...will check it out!

Welcome, a number of years back I had a similar story, but from Norther CA. This is a great community. Also in Pflugerville is Niko's reef. I consider that North Austin. :) It's not on the map that mike provided.

Yeah, a small reef club meeting at RCA and he supplies beer and pizza too!

Be careful with all that infinite knowledge! Use it wisely and for good only.

I enjoy those things...sure why not!

Welcome, a number of years back I had a similar story, but from Norther CA. This is a great community. Also in Pflugerville is Niko's reef. I consider that North Austin. smile.png It's not on the map that mike provided.

Been a rough transition but definitely worth it. Looks like our daughters may go to preschool out there...so I'll have plenty of chances to stop by. :)

Archived