Resealing a beast

Gtownsaltbaby

I have a huge HEAVY aquarium that needs to be sealed. I am working on scraping it down, the problem with this is that it is 30 inches deep and I feel like I have trex arms.The hubby and I paid a couple folks to help lift it up on a stand of course after it was up and they were gone we discovered it leaked.. I really am hoping there is someone who can give me a price to come out and reseal it, taking it somewhere is just not an option. This tank is long something like 86x18x30. Any ideas on who might be able to do this, and cost? I am in Georgetown if location is important. Does this even qualify as DIY LOL

If you're just cutting out the interior bead of silicone and running a new bead that's pretty straight forward and you should be able to do it yourself. If you're talking about cutting it apart and redoing it that's a pretty serious undertaking. If you choose to jst replace the interior bead a fish fillet knife will work to cut out the old silicone. You'll want to be sure to get all the old silicone off, a razor blade may work better at this point than the fillet knife. RTV 108 is available online and is much stronger than generic silicone from a home supply place or generic aquarium silicone. Once you run a bead in a joint a plastic spoon helps push it into the corner. You can tape off the joints about half an inch or maybe a little less to get a clean line once it's dried. You will want to use a vapor mask as with a tank this size you will need to climb into it to do the work and the fumes from the silicone can be strong in a small space.

I have done as big as a 90. This just scares me a little. I am just doing the inside. Thank you for the silicone tip. I will order some I am hoping that I can find some muscle to help us get it down next weekend. So I can finish cleaning it out.

Archived