New to Saltwater

Jonathan Gonzales

Hi All,

I have done African Cichlid tanks for years and decided I want to try something A lot different. I am wanting to start off with a nano reef tank. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I'm thinking of starting off with a 10 gallon and see how it goes. Looking for vibrant corals and maybe a few small active fish.

The bigger the tank the more forgiving it can be. I suggest beginning with a 40 breeder minimum size especially for a beginner. The bigger the tank the better .

Research like crazy before beginning anything

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Welcome! My biggest concern starting out would be in trying to go too small. A 10g tank doesn't leave you a lot of room for error in that if water parameters are bad things go bad really quickly. I'd focus on a 29-55g tank to start.

• 3 weeks later...

I started w/ a 12G tank but my downfall here wasn't what you'd think. It's easy to take care of and it was also easy to fill up and make look cool with all kinds of corals. The major issue I'm seeing w/ having a smaller tank is that it's already full and I want to buy more stuff. If you use the right equipment, running a small tank isn't hard.... if you don't want to study, read, or you want to be neglectful for days on end you probably will not have a good experience with salt water in general. Automating everything to where it's a "hands off" system is very expensive.

• 3 weeks later...

Welcome! I think we have all upgraded in size since we started. I started at a 26 and I only had it up for 2 months before I upgraded haha!. I would start at a 75 if I were you. However if you really just want to do a pico, Add some saltwater sand, rock, and bacteria and and let it sit for a couple months. Also, Quarantine everything!!!! Everyone told me to do this in the beginning and I didnt. Lost around $400 in fish to marine velvet.... I would recommend researching the nitrate cycle. Thats the most important thing for you right now. Once the cycle is done QT and add a couple fish. The ONLY and I promise ONLY way to be successful in this hobby is patience... Wish you well. This group is great for advise 24/7!

Archived