PVC check valve

Fireman cole

Used a PVC check valve not thinking about it but i but i realized today when i was looking a a check valve like the one i put on my tank that it has a metal screw and spring iv had the tank run with no problems should chang it out the check valve says it's rated for pottable water

post-4357-0-60068400-1466992739_thumb.pn

Check valves are worthless. Design your plumbing to not require one. It's 1 less thing to go wrong, especially since a poorly designed system with a failed check valve = water disaster.

• 1 month later...

Ive been working on adding a sump and drilling my little 40g all went well but i do need to make a stand for my pump, i turn off pwr and my pump back flushed into my 29g sump but when done should eliminate any overflowing to the fl lol

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

Ive been working on adding a sump and drilling my little 40g all went well but i do need to make a stand for my pump, i turn off pwr and my pump back flushed into my 29g sump but when done should eliminate any overflowing to the fl lol

Do you have the return near the surface of the water, as much as possible, in the display tank? When you turn off the pump, it should only be able to siphon minimal amount of water into the sump. And keep the water level in your sump low enough that it can hold all that drains down. Having your return pump up higher is only helpful if a drain gets clogged.

My previous tank had a check valve.... over time it became useless and wouldn't shut. While it was still operative, it actually reduced the flow substantially (water pressure vs spring). Instead of a check valve, you can drill a hole in the return slightly above water level to break the vacuum... or place the output slightly under water level, so the vacuum will break when it gets below that level.

EDIT: vacuum = siphon.. brainfart.

: ) its not close enough, i need to plumb it into a swivel with the flare return tip, and make a better stand for the pump, but ive been side tracked planning my stand for my new 100g , im pleased with the new tank just overwhelming abit

Yep, im lucky to get the big stuff done , ill get there , i have damage to neck an back so everything take me longer lol , someday : ) soon cant wait

Sounds like you're doing pretty well! Do you have a build thread for your tanks?

Nah, ill take some pictures when it starts coming together, yes ill have to plum my mix station an RODI at some point not able to do lifting , but for now im go low budget sense i have a new 100g an a use 40 or so for the sump should be fun , but water changes be buy spare pump : ))) just made a spot for the stand last wk end

• 2 months later...

It coming together I'm half way I have all the pumps to do everything but ill get help on the rest no more broken ribs lol and know better than to try somethings messed me up but I've got the plain and need a few more thing like my RO D I an 2 food grade 30g blue barrels and finish my sump work on both tanks once I get all the stuff I'll find some help to plumb it can't believe it taking shape so darn happy

Archived