New to the club and Reef Keeping - Located in Round Rock

HarleyGuy

Hi All,

I'm new to the club and new to reef keeping. wave.gif I've had aquariums since I was a child including salt (fish only).

Never had a reef though. So Ill definitely need some input from you all. smile.png

thanks,

John

Hi Kim, thanks, and thanks for the 47 gal thread, that is (was?) a beautiful tank. I hope mine turns out as well.

How did you put that rock together and keep it stable at that height?

John

Hi Kim, thanks, and thanks for the 47 gal thread, that is (was?) a beautiful tank. I hope mine turns out as well.

How did you put that rock together and keep it stable at that height?

John

Thanks! That tank's been long shut down. I had all that rock just stacked up with a lot of luck. That was part of the reason I shut it down. In my current tank the rock is all drilled with pvc running through it. It's a lot more stable! No worries about anything falling.

Well that makes sense. PVC, like schedule 40? Isn't that some huge holes drilled into the rock? Not acrylic rod? Or did you make a frame and tie the rock to it?

How do you paste pics on here? I was trying to upload pics of my tank but can't figure it out! hmm.png

Thanks!

Well that makes sense. PVC, like schedule 40? Isn't that some huge holes drilled into the rock? Not acrylic rod? Or did you make a frame and tie the rock to it?

How do you paste pics on here? I was trying to upload pics of my tank but can't figure it out! hmm.png

Thanks!

Hey! Just noticed your question. I'm going to try and link the video Timfish and I did on using a pvc skeleton to hold the rock stacks:

https://youtu.be/nRjHGhs-aaY

Hi Kim,

Wow, I don't know many ladies who know how to work with tools like that, that was very impressive. smile.png Also your results were awesome.

I have a few questions. If you're going to the July meeting I can ask you then but..:

• I might have missed this but what size sched 80 pvc did you use?
  • I thought I had a lot of tools...., where did you get that electric wet skill saw?? That is really cool.
  • Also, where did you find that rock that looks like a ceramic bowl? What is that exactly? Some sort of coral? That is a really neat piece.
  • When you put the pipe into the base rock it appeared to just be press fit? Did you user any glue or epoxy?

thanks,

John

Hi Kim,

Wow, I don't know many ladies who know how to work with tools like that, that was very impressive. smile.png Also your results were awesome.

I have a few questions. If you're going to the July meeting I can ask you then but..:

• I might have missed this but what size sched 80 pvc did you use?
  • I thought I had a lot of tools...., where did you get that electric wet skill saw?? That is really cool.
  • Also, where did you find that rock that looks like a ceramic bowl? What is that exactly? Some sort of coral? That is a really neat piece.
  • When you put the pipe into the base rock it appeared to just be press fit? Did you user any glue or epoxy?
thanks,

John

Thanks! I had a lot of help from Timfish, so I certainly can't take all the credit.

I used 1" for all the vertical pieces in the structure, then tapped it in places for 1/2" branches that screwed into it. The base rock just has holes that the pvc slides easily into. No glue or anything. The base pieces are quite thick (not necessarily dense) so the pvc slides into it a good amount.

I bet you already do have a wet skill saw ;) It's just some lockline on a garden hose. It was set onto the saw with a slow trickle of water running out of the hose. The lockline basically allowed it to hook onto the saw so it didn't fall right off when I started moving it. Obviously only do this with a battery powered tool, nothing corded. Be mindful of where the water's running. Same deal with the drill, but the hose wasn't connected to the drill in any way.

The ceramic pieces are barnacle shapes from Cerameco which is a company that has unfortunately disappeared several years ago. There are a bunch of brands of ceramic rocks and such I've been seeing lately, so hopefully someone will start making neat shapes again.

I hope this helps make better sense of it all :)

Hi Kim,

Thanks for this info! I want a more vertical rock structure so I'll try the pvc method. It makes sense and looks very stable.

As for the wet saw, I may try that too.

Cerameco is still in business in Salt Lake, I found their current number: 801-487-0274. They have a site here: http://www.cerameco.com. They have a lot of pieces and I'm asking them about the big barnacle.

Thanks again,

John

Archived