Jake's 180 Build

Jakedoza

• 2 weeks later...

Can't wait until my tanks are done had a guy that was letting my wire up a few panels fm time to time for extra money its hit an mis when my disability going to shut down my day, so my builds came to a halt, with my 100g all thats left is to tie in the sump an set up my RODI an mixing station sure hope at some point i get to enjoy a reef tank, i guess i need to decide if the 3 1in horizon drilled holes will do or it im going to make them return fm my sump and empty the tank and drill the 2 corners and make those the drain to the sump any thoughts i dont want drain noise as the whole reason im doing it so ive got something to look at on my bad days you all have yrs and yrs in all this so ill probably go with what you all says best thanks tank looks good bud

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

Thanks bud i read about it before but wanted to get an opinion i think i may do that on both corners and use the horizon holes for return fm sump pump, thanks it seems most all are using that method, thanks again

I used this method on my 180. In one corner I had my return and the main drain and in the other I had a return and the emergency drain, it worked great.

Thanks bud i read about it before but wanted to get an opinion i think i may do that on both corners and use the horizon holes for return fm sump pump, thanks it seems most all are using that method, thanks again

I used this method on my 180. In one corner I had my return and the main drain and in the other I had a return and the emergency drain, it worked great.

yes, I don't see why you'd need it on both corners

Yes, i think i will not happy with the set up now, its only about 4mo old but ya i need to set it up the same as everyone got theres its going to be tough but worth it ill need to get 4 or 5 bulkheads and do a big transfer to get to empty, slow an study i get it done someday lol ugh : )

As usual I have been lazy at updating this. It has been over a year since I have set this system up and things have been great. Here are some photos of the system as it is after a year running where it sits.
IMG_20170629_203521.jpg

IMG_20170629_203538.jpg

IMG_20170629_203619.jpg

I did find out that my return pump (Mag12) was leeching electrical current into my system. After much thought and internal debate I decided to go with an external pump. I found a used Reeflo pump from a member here on the forum and then started thinking about how I wanted to plumb this thing. 

IMG_20170630_181327.jpg

IMG_20170630_181245.jpg

I decided to put the pump outside the stand in the "cubby" area that has my calcium reactor and electrical. I flipped my sump around and drilled a hole. Thank you Jake from RCA for allowing me to borrow the bit.. Before I did that I placed the sump where it needed to be and measured where the pump needed to be and I used a sharpie to mark where I needed to drill. Measure 3 times, cut once!

IMG_20170701_161319.jpg

My wife supplied the small steady stream of water as I drilled the sump (She is soo awesome!)

IMG_20170701_163006.jpg

I then placed the sump back where it needed to be and adjusted the pump where it needed to be and had to adjust the height of the pump. I mounted it on some wood from the stand that was over built. :D

IMG_20170701_163011.jpg

IMG_20170701_164148.jpg

IMG_20170701_164145.jpg

Then I started building the manifold I designed up i my head while at Lowes.. That only took 2 hours in the plumbing section.. This is the result.

IMG_20170701_170533.jpg

I then decided I wanted another union valve on top of the pump.

IMG_20170702_145205.jpg

IMG_20170702_145213.jpg

IMG_20170702_145220.jpg

More updates to come soon.. (See DIY Chiller) ;)

Archived