Fish export video - Finding Dory

FarmerTy

I didn't watch the entire video (skipped forward every 5min or so), but what was the % of fish that make it from collection to store? iirc, 50% die before they leave the original island, no?

I would think that's pretty standard. You'd be surprised how many fish die along the way and even at the LFS. If you think about it... in nature, before reaching adulthood, you'll probably get a 70%+ mortality rate.

To add to it, think of how many are killed by hobbyist each year. I would think more fish actually die in the hands of a hobbyist than compared to the rest of the export process combined.

I would think more fish actually die in the hands of a hobbyist than compared to the rest of the export process combined.

Given that you're a [reformed] scientist, and science involves math, I'd urge you to re-run those numbers! grin.png

I would think more fish actually die in the hands of a hobbyist than compared to the rest of the export process combined.

Given that you're a [reformed] scientist, and science involves math, I'd urge you to re-run those numbers! grin.png
Who? What? Did I forget to carry the 1? [emoji6]

I want to hug my fish after watching that! Crazy how many different hands play a role in the transportation. Thanks for the post Ty!

No problem. I found it fascinating and it gives me more appreciation of life here in the US where I can just say I want a fish from the other side of the world and it just shows up. Look at all the people and processes that are required to make that happen.

I'm glad that there's a lot of effort this time to say "No to Dory".

http://money.cnn.com/2016/06/17/media/finding-dory-box-office-environment/index.html?eref=mrss_igoogle_business

We noted that they kept showing Powder Blues though... Hopefully people don't start thinking those are a good alternative!

Great video. Its pretty amazing of the amount of work that goes into collecting the fish before we can take it home to our tanks.

While watching the video I have to admit, my initial reaction is I'm uneasy about the idea of taking fish from their home in nature. But on the other hand, the fish that are in my tank bring myself and my family a great amount of joy, and it enables people around the globe to earn a living from the aquarium trade. Plus if I'm a responsible reef hobbyist (and I think all of us here try to be), the fish are able to live happy lives in our aquariums without the danger of being in nature.

But the dynamite and cyanide fishing is something I will never knowingly support or get behind.

I finally watched it and it made me very sad. Not only for the "dory", but to think about all my fish that went through that. I'm new and dumb I suppose. Thght they were "captive bred"... I feel terrible knowing they all were ripped from their homes and forced to live in my tank. I tend to personify all animals, and fish are no different. Not sure how I feel about this or how/if I will continue in this "hobby"...... My gain/pleasure shouldn't come at the expense of a life. No matter how small and beautiful

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I finally watched it and it made me very sad. Not only for the "dory", but to think about all my fish that went through that. I'm new and dumb I suppose. Thght they were "captive bred"... I feel terrible knowing they all were ripped from their homes and forced to live in my tank. I tend to personify all animals, and fish are no different. Not sure how I feel about this or how/if I will continue in this "hobby"...... My gain/pleasure shouldn't come at the expense of a life. No matter how small and beautiful

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You'd be surprised at the advances of saltwater fish breeding in just last 5 years alone. We officially had our first captive bred tangs this past year. Why is that significant? Because they are a pelagic spawner and it is quite difficult to breed them because of that.

I see the saltwater hobby heading in the same direction as the freshwater hobby where a majority of fish are captive-bred now whereas that wasn't the case when it first started.

The realist in me knows that out of a batch of larval fish, probably only 20% of them make it to adulthood. Collecting fish and selling them to me is very similar to a predator just picking off the fish and eating it except instead of getting eaten, it has a chance to live in the nice, comfy confines of an aquarium where it never has to worry about being eaten anymore, given a name, and treated as a part of the family. smile.png

Even methods of collection have improved and collectors are focusing on just collecting the larval fish, which again, most won't survive in the wild anyways. They collect them, grow them out in grow-out facilities, and when they reach a retail size, sell them to LFS to distribute. This makes less of an impact on natural populations and the large adult fish stay in the ocean to produce many more generations of fish.

Here's a company doing exactly that, as well as breeding I believe.

http://sustainableaquatics.com/

I think this video does a great job of visualizing the amount of work that goes into collecting fish and getting them to market. It also shows that it's not as clean and harmless as most of us want to believe. I think it's important that people see the truth behind how these animals get to the fish store and makes us think twice before indiscriminately adding a fish to our aquarium because we think it's pretty or saw it in a cute movie.

I think the aquarium industry does more good than harm in the long run though. Very similar to Eco-tourism, it encourages locals to preserve their resources to continue making a living off it, otherwise they would simply exploit it with dynamite to see fish for food. As time goes on and more people become aware and reach out to the local collectors I'm confident better collecting methods will be employed and a more sustainable aquarium industry can be created.

Hopefully soon aquaculturists will break the barrier of breeding blue tangs and get them to market. The sooner we can get to all-tank bred fish stock, the better for natural fish populations in the wild.

• 3 weeks later...

The idiots fishing with dynamite.... just smh. :( It's sick what money does to people. I heard that the guys fishing these corals out of the water are starting to catch wind of the high prices some of them command and they're starting to jack their own prices up pre-export. I'm sure that's been going on for years. I think we'll see a change when people stop thinking they deserve to eat some rare delicacy. We don't need to kill an entire reef for a few fish so some rich people can eat, we don't need to kill a tiger so you can make weiner soup. :|

Archived